potbelly stove

I want to put a potbelly stove in my basement. Preferably on the wall that doesn't have a window on it. How hard of an install, and what procedures would there be?

Reply to
bigjcw1023

I assume you mean a woodburning stove. Don't do anything until you check it out with your homeowner's insurance. A lot of companies won't even allow woodburning stoves. If that's OK, then you must by a UL listed stove and install it according to their directions. The trouble is usually the chimney. Assuming you don't have an existing chimney (in good condition) to use, you will be looking at running a metalbestos chimney up through your living spaces out the roof. So as to how hard of an install, it could range from not too bad to a living hell.

Reply to
marson

a gas direct vent stove might be easier and more practical

Reply to
hallerb

Call your building department. They may have a handout with all the rules. When I did this in Md many years ago the PG County BD had a package that they mailed me. Basically the issues are combustible walls, floors and ceilings need protection and the flue needs to be of an approved design and routed the right way. Getting it through the wall and outside as quickly as possible eases your woes. You will have to deal with that pipe running up the outside of your house.

Reply to
gfretwell

Good grief, man. How would we even guess? If you were any more vague, your post would be just blank.

First things first.

Find out if you need a permit. Nothing like getting red tagged in the middle of it, or having to rip it out and do it again.

Check with your insurance company. Your rates will probably go up. Mine almost doubled for homeowner's.

After that, the construction isn't rocket science, but not knowing a thing about your setup, I can't offer any advice. Components are available from any fireplace store. Putting them in right and safely is another thing. Cutting openings, coring concrete, making sure everything's right and safe is vital. Straight runs of chimney pipe are best, and nineties are bad. You have to use air to combust wood. What's going to be your air source? Room air? Outside air through a duct? No sense sending warm room air up the chimney. You may be better off to just run a 220 and put a heater in there.

Then there are CO monitors. Get the digital type so you have a displayed level rather than waiting until it is critical to beep.

You may have to have a hole cut in the wall. You may have to redo framing and everything up from the stove. You may have to put in fire blocking and fire resistant materials.

Other than the things mentioned above, it's a snap.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Well...other than the fee for the ambulance after the sticker shock on the cost of the chimney...

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K