Plz help (hooking up icemaker)

I recently moved into a new house that has a water tap behind the refridgerator. The tap looks like every tap I've ever seen behind household toilets. That is, it has an oval handle and it has a male

3/8" hookup. There is a flexible hose coming out of the back of my refridgerator that is a female 1/4" (plus it has a female to male adapter).

My problem is I cannot find anywhere an adapter that can change the

3/8" to 1/4". People in the hardware stores keep telling me I need an icemaker hookup kit, but I have bought two different ones and they don't come with the adapters I need.

Can someone help me figure out how to hook a 1/4" female onto a 3/8" male? I know it shouldn't be hard but 3 different hardware stores around here couldn't help me.

Reply to
Greg Baker

Something like this from Grainger? A little pricey though.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Thanks Jerry.. I found similar things at the hardware store around here, but the problem is the threads on both the hose coming out of the refridgerator and the tap have a tight thread (sorry I don't know the technical term). All the adapters I find have a very large thread and they won't screw into or onto my tap or appliance.

:(

Reply to
Greg Baker

Have a plumber change the tap to 1/4 compression fitting? Now you're talking a few more bucks.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Instead of going to the hardware store, go to a plumbing supply.

Reply to
trader4

Greg Baker wrote in news:2f153172-b9bc-4c3d- snipped-for-privacy@l42g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

I recently picked up one of these at Lowes. A little more than what you need. If you can't find a simpler adapter you could cap off the 3/8 outlet side of the tee.

Red Green

Ahh, thanks Red Green. I have found one of these. Now I'm in search for a female cap! lol.. But I'm one step closer.

Reply to
Greg Baker

Ahh I just replaced the tap with a 1/4" tap. Too much trouble looking for the other pieces.

Reply to
Greg Baker

be sure to use plastic ferrule on plastic lines

or brass ferrule on copper lines.......

otherwise it can leak or the connection

Reply to
hallerb

Greg Baker wrote in news:8b4b115e-16d9-4874- snipped-for-privacy@b1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

Good deal. It's just something I had here to give you an idea. That's why I said a little more than what you need but an option if you're hard up.

Reply to
Red Green