Icemaker follow-up

Narrowed it down to the motor for the rotor that feeds the ice into the chute thingy. So, the next question becomes is that something that a marginally handy person can do or it should be left to professionals? How about just exchaging out the entire unit in the door?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I wouldn't replace the door. You wouldn't replace the door on your car if the window crank broke would you?

If you are handy, look over the icemaker and see if you can tell how stuff fits together. Look for screws, moldings etc.. and see if you can figure out how it comes apart. That would determine if you need to hire someone.

Reply to
Meat Plow

It was an /analogy/.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Thanks. I was thinking about only taking about the unit IN the door.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I was once trying to fix a Smith Corona portable (typewriter) and in the process I took off all the cover parts, and still couldn't see the problem. So I took it to a typewriter repair guy, and he was mad that I had taken off the covers. I said, "You don't have to put the covers back on. Just fix the backspace key that doesn't work." I don't think I had even brought the covers with me.

But he wouldn't do it. So I took it home and fiddled a little longer and one of the stiff wires that connect things fell apart at one end, in the middle of its loop. I guess it had already bent or cracked, and its effective length was no longer as short as it should have been. So I was able to use a heavy wire hanger to make a part for it.

I hear they aare going to phase out wire hangers. BEtter stock up, for parts.

Reply to
mm

Duh well the same would apply I guess. Have you looked it over?

Reply to
Meat Plow