plywood strength question

how much weight can a 1/4 inch plywood floor hold?

Reply to
Virginia Brugman

how much weight can a 1/4 inch plywood floor hold?

Reply to
Virginia Brugman

I know I'm just whistling into the wind, but are you wanting to use the 1/4 inch plywood for? A 12-by-36-inch piece of 3/4-inch fir plywood can support up to 50 lbs. without problems. Plywood strength drops when thickness diminishes. For example; a 12-by-36-inch piece of 1/4-inch plywood will only support about 5 lbs. before bending.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

How far apart are the supports? The quick answer is none.

Reply to
rbowman

Plywood over concrete can take 10,000 pounds. Over joists space 16" not enough to meet any building code.

More information needed, but I'd certainly not use wood that thin.

Ed Pawlowski

Not much. What is the span between supports?

Reply to
gfretwell

Hickory plywood has a compressive strength of over 9000 psi.

Reply to
Mary Alice Winterbottom

Plywood is anisotropic and there is also tensile strength and shear strength to consider as well as the modulus. If just sitting on a flat surface like concrete compressive strength would predominate. As a beam over joints shear strength would be important.

Reply to
Frank

Impossible to know without more data.

But also, you need to refine the question.

Do you mean how much can it hold before breaking, or how much can it hold before deflection is too great to tolerate?

Most of the time you'll never get near tearing it apart, but it will bend too far to use.

Reply to
TimR

I suppose a 450 lb woman (not uncommon today) in pumps might be able to punch a heel through 1/4" plywood.

Reply to
Dev Null

Which has NO efect on how much the plywood can hold when used as a floor.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Funny how few can spot an obvious troll.

Reply to
trader_4

Exactly what do you want to use it for? Plenty of people here can advise you but you need to be more specific. What kind of supports, how far apart, etc?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman