plumber's grease instead of teflon tape?

That might be the case on a Navy ship boiler system where the steam is being used for very sensitive applications like the expanding steam turbine turning gear for propulsion... But in a home or commercial heating system using steam -- there is a lot more harmful stuff in the _water_ than a bit of grease getting past a failed gasket on a valve at a radiator...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Heh! Nice tap dance...

I never said that pipe threads do not need a sealant. To claim that I did is far worse than claiming I misinformed.

Reply to
HeyBub

So you are dropping your claim of the threads deforming?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Er, no.

If I drop a claim, I'll say so.

Reply to
HeyBub

I've lived in 3 homes with steam heat, replaced a few valves and complete radiators in that time, as well as similar chores for neighbors, also helped install a new boiler. What kind of residential radiator valve uses a gasket? I've never seen one that did.

Reply to
Larry W

replying to Evan, frank wrote: Wrong. Teflon tape is not toprovide sealant. It is to equalize friction.

Reply to
frank

Actually, it is and does both.

Reply to
clare

If you looking for a quick fix that will stop a leak while you go to the hardware store try using some sewing cotton wrapped around the thread in the same direction that tightens the join it works really well

Reply to
terry