Plaster

What kind of plaster do I need to replace a 3x3 foot area of 3/8" thick plaster over a 1/2 drywall? Will regular patch mud do or do I need something else? Why the walls in this addition room are plaster over drywall I don't understand either. The drywall looks like it's 2 foot wide strips that are beveled on each side.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Sounds like Rock Lath, a forerunner to drywall. Should be 16" wide, not 2 feet. My whole house, built in 1938, has it. The plaster came off yours? You could buy lightweight "real" plaster for it - Home Depot used to sell it. Otherwise, you could use regular mud in several coats.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

Interesting. The house was built in the 50's. The addition I'm not sure, maybe mid/late 60's. I was just guessing as to the width of the rock lath :) The plaster is missing because there was a wall mounted gas fired and vented space heater installed and the installer chose to remove plaster behind it. Now that I've had a new furnace installed and added vents to that room the heater is gone plus the heater broke this past winter. I'd like to get this patched up this morning so it can be painted this evening so I guess I'm off to HD.

Reply to
Meat Plow

If it's 3/8", glue & screw a piece of 3/8" drywall and then tape the seams. There's also 1/4" drywall, but it's probably not available at HD.

(snip)

If you want be done by tonight you can forget any solution that involves plaster or drywall mud. You need to let it dry completely before painting.

Reply to
Mike Paulsen

My local HD carries 1/4", but maybe that's weird...

(am I gloating?)

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake