Pipe Dope

I grew up believing in pipe dope for all kinds of plumbing connections - gas , liquid , etc . WHY IS IT then that when I use it to mount a cutoff valve on a PVC fitting it leaks virtually every time ? Just plumbed the claw foot tub and the cold has a seep on that fitting . And I'm out of teflon tape .

--

Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Mfr. Oatey says not to use Pipe Dope on plastic pipes. Use their product Hercules Real Tuff instead

re Pipe Dope

"Do not use on threaded plastic pipes (use Hercules Real Tuff TM or Megaloc TM )."

Re Real Tuff

"use on Aluminum, Black Iron, Brass, Copper, Glass, Monel, Natural Rubber, Plastic(P.E.,Reinforced), PVC, ABS, CPVC"

Reply to
Retired

I've never used pipe dope on PVC, only on metal piping. PVC I aways use teflon tape. For me, it's just habit and what seemed right. Interesting that the dope manufacturer says not to use it on plastic.

Reply to
trader_4