Better? Teflon tape or pipe dope?

Been having a nightmare of leaks trying to get some new galvanized pipe in a wall for a bathroom sink.

Started out using plumber's pipe dope in a tube on both male and female portions of pipe threads, but it had several small leaks.

When I switched to the Teflon tape the leaks stopped.

The old pipes had the dope on them and they came apart pretty easily in the old 60 year old house, so I used the dope again but the thing seems to leak more with it than tape. True?

Tia.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

Teflon tape is always my preferred choice. When applied properly it provides a lasting seal throughout the threaded connection, whereas the dopes vary in consistency, and elasticity. I always go one step further and apply a thin coat of dope (Megalock) over the tape. I've never had a leak doing it this way. It takes a little more time, but much less time than having to take the joints apart to redo. And I sleep better at night. (never mind the fact I'm typing this at 12:45 am).

doug

Reply to
DOUGLAS LADWIG

Been having a nightmare of leaks trying to get some new galvanized pipe in a wall for a bathroom sink.

Started out using plumber's pipe dope in a tube on both male and female portions of pipe threads, but it had several small leaks.

When I switched to the Teflon tape the leaks stopped.

The old pipes had the dope on them and they came apart pretty easily in the old 60 year old house, so I used the dope again but the thing seems to leak more with it than tape. True?

Tia.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

"B. Peg"

Actually, the problem is that you need a little more muscle. Teflon paste, or tape, or grey pipe works if a manly-man is on the pipe wrench.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

No. Paint, shellac or tape only allow you to turn the pipe easier. The threads are made as interference fit. That is what seals.

A thread is an inclined angle that happens to turn.

Reply to
Red Jacket The Laughing India

If the pipes are used for water then i use teflon tape with some Rectorseal #5 I also have been very happy with the wolverine brass pipe dope with teflon in it, its white and blends in with tape; also works great as lube. If it is for oil then tape is not allowed pipe dope only!

BUT....... more importantly, STOP WITH THE GALV. use copper instead. cut out all the galv you can see back to the last fitting then put a male or female adpter in or on to it and go CU from there.

Reply to
Ned Flanders