Phone ring lowers radio?

Is there such a gadget? I hate having to run to turn down the radio when the phone rings. Most of the time I'm in such a hurry to pick up the phone (I have my reasons) that I don't get to the radio in time and have to ask them to wait while I do it. Sounds like a minor thing, but has been an annoyance forever. Tx for any suggestions.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

There are one or two radios with built in phones where this happens. I have no idea what features the radio has.

Putting a phone on a radio is almost silly, because they're not related, eexcept in the few cases where they do this.

Also, you might be able to put the phone near the radio, or vice versa, so you could do both. I can turn down my radio with my right arm almost while answering the phone with the left. (When I'm standing between the electric hotdog maker and the newspaper rack.)

Reply to
mm

I have seen "Hi-Fi" sets with remote controls. Also, we get a lot of music via the cable TV so can use that remote to mute the music

Reply to
LouB

12ga shotgun?
Reply to
ransley

CLAP ON! CLAP OFF!

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Years ago, I had a nice bedside phone with an alarm and radio. When you lifted the receiver, the radio silenced. Was sort of like the old "Princess" phone.

Reply to
professorpaul

30 years ago, my mother bought an Emerson clock radio that had the god awfullest electronic alarm I've ever heard, it could wake the neighborhood. I've never seen another one like it. It seems that a lot of neato products will appear on the market for a short time and vanish right around the time you go looking for one. Other products that you never want, exist in mass quantities and are only wanted by those crazy Coneheads.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You can get a phone gadget for the deaf which activates a light when the phone rings. This can be connected to a relay to turn something off. You could also wire it to a remote control pointed at the stereo to activate the muting button via a relay. (Get a second remote control and modify it.)

Reply to
Bill

Maybe get a newer radio with a remote and keep the remote next to the phone?

Reply to
Larry Fishel

GE still makes them, we bought one a couple of years ago. But, it doesn't shut off when we pick up using the cordless phone.

Reply to
hrhofmann

There's a problem there. Most mute buttons are TOGGLES. The button can un-mute as well and there's no way for the control to know what (mute or un-mute) it's doing without feedback.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I dont know if there is something commercial you could buy to do this but it was in a office phone where I worked one time. A contact had been added to the hook switch that was used to mute the radio when you picked up the phone. This required modification of both the phone and radio.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Just design a latching relay or other latching circuit. You would need to press a reset button to reset. The reset button could also again activate the mute signal.

Reply to
Bill

I know about those, and have one controlling the audio in my A/V system. It switches the audio. I could do this because the audio is accessible (output from A/V switch to stereo receiver).

A latching relay still wouldn't solve the toggle problem (you need to know the state of the device (muted or active) to determine whether or not to send the signal.

The process I actually go through when the phone rings is something like this: ===========================================

  1. Are you listening to any controllable device? If not. DONE

  1. Determine which device.

  2. Is this device playing a recording? If not, GO TO STEP 7

  1. Is the output of this device being recorded by another device?. if so, GO TO STEP 7

  2. Is the recording paused, if so DONE

  1. press PAUSE on that device, DONE

  2. Is the audio muted? If so, DONE

  1. Press MUTE on the device, DONE

It isn't too complicated for a person. It is for some simple automatic device.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd