People's Court today, Friday, 12/18

I AM a touch typist and pretty good too**, but I see this Dell keyboard doesn't have the inverted dimples on keys G and H, likek it's supposed to.

**6 errors per minute.
Reply to
Micky

I get about six errors a minute. Unfortunately I also only type about six words per minute.

When I was in high school only the business kids took typing. Nobody ever thought engineers would have anything to do with a typewriter; that's what the secretaries are for. My brother was older enough that it worked in his career, but it didn't in mine.

Reply to
rbowman

I wasn't an engineer in high school. Or a business kid. I went to probably the richest public school in Indiana, I think 80% went to college, but they also taught typing. I think I took it in summer school.

I had watched my mother type my brother's papers in college -- he's 7 years older -- and maybe med school, and I didn't want to depend on someone else. But I agree that it surprised me when I typed for a living, as a computer programmer.

I make a lot of errors when I play the piano, too.

Reply to
Micky

In the 8 th grade about 1964 most everyone had to take a semester of typing. The room had a lot of typewriters and the keys did not have any leters or numbers on them so we had to learn to touch type. My mother had a typewriter just like them but had the leters on the keys. I used it some to type up papers.

It did help some when in college I had to take a semester of computer programing in PL/1 which was sort of like the BASIC programming. Just enough to learn what computer programming was about.

Move up to about 3 years before the computers came out (the old Radio Shack and Apples) I started playing around with some ham radio that used the Teletype machines. The typing started to come back to me. Then enter the computers and a slightly different keyboards . Letters are in the same place, but have to look for some of the symbles.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I did a seque into programming as the world changed but I started out in the machine tool industry. There was drafting involved, mostly schematics and panel layouts, but no typing. More likely you would find me with a screwdriver and a Simpson debugging a control circuit.

I found I enjoyed programming, which I did not in my college days when it was FORTRAN IV and System 360's. Still, by the last '80s I was starting to wonder if a man really should make a living in front of a glorified typewriter. I sort of retired/dropped out and spent the next ten years doing more physical work. Then I wandered back into the field. I've enjoyed it, which is why I'm still doing it.

Of all the programmers in my group I think there are a couple who can actually type by any accepted definition of typing.

Reply to
rbowman

There wasn't a typewriter in sight in my 8th grade in 1960. I can't remember when my parents bought a typewriter for me but it was an inexpensive, manual portable job and a joy to use.

My college programming courses were FORTRAN IV and the closest we got to a typewriter was a keypunch. The theory was you did your programming on a coding form and then went over to the computer center to punch it in. In the real (paying job) world it was expected you would give the form to a keypunch operator.

iirc, the early Apples were lacking a key that was sort of important to a C programmer so you had to fudge it with key mappings. I never had an Apple but I remember a friend whining about it.

The keys still migrate. I was at the library today and had to hunt around for Delete. Their keyboards are neither the standard full size with the numeric part nor the laptop condensed model.

Reply to
rbowman

I was taking an electronics engineering course in college. We just had a semester of programming. It was just enough to learn what it was. Most of what we wrote was only about 30 to 50 lines.

We usually wrote the code by pencil and they went to the only model 33 Teletype. Punched it in and made a tape of it. Then used a dial on the 33 to call a computer somewhere off campus. Then started the paper tape and sent the program. Later in the day we had to call up the computer and it would print out the results.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I asked in the wrong spot. What do you mean that Google translated. They translated it to middle? Where did it do that?

The best all around page, though no pictures on this page.

Anyone who charges prices like this is not going to be cheap on a house call. The guy was at least 60 years old, he should know that already.

She also does partial restoration and cleaning only.

What is the cost? The cost for full restoration depends on the range being restored. It may start at $3,500 for a small range, but the average starting price is about $5,500 - 6,000 for a standard size range. Most Chambers ranges start at $6,600 and go up from there. Roper stoves are more expensive and cost upwards of $8,000 for full restoration. O'Keefe & Merritt is a west coast stove but we do sell them when available and they start at $9,000 plus the cost of the stove. Commercial ranges usually cost more to fully restore, but most people only need a cleaning and partial restoration on their commercial range. Note: you can't buy a "new" commercial range for your home.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a west coast stove, since I didnt' think there was any heavy industry west of Minnesota. I wonder if the Beach Boys havd a song about them.

Reply to
Micky

Hard to believe we all have our own now. Few of us do programming, but we could. (I don't count setting values for 4th generation "languages".)

Went to Cape Kennedy ~20 years ago and was told that the PC I had at home in 1995 was as powerful as what launched the Mercury astronauts.

What I have now must be more than enough to go to the moon and back.

Reply to
Micky

A smart phone is more than the moon landing computers. I think they used some KIM 1 computers on the space craft. They had less memory than what it would take to boot up a smart phone now.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I just put 'nuddke-aged' in the search box and it came back with

Showing results for middle-aged Search instead for nuddke-aged

with its usual 'here's what you really meant, stupid' subtlety. Usually they get it right but it can be annoying when you're really searching for what you typed in.

Reply to
rbowman

You haven't lived until you've programmed in FORTH...

Reply to
rbowman

Oh, I get it. Maybe I should have thought of that.

Yeah, they definitely must have a finger displacement filter!

LOL

Reply to
Micky

My top typing speed was around 78wpm with the average errors any normal typist would make. I hated manual typewriters because if you had to make copies you had to use that blue/black carbon paper between papers and type 2 to 3 copies at a time. If you made a mistake you had to correct it on multiple copies. When word processors and pc text applications (word) came out I was in heaven because an error only meant you had to backspace/delete/edit and keep going, which, got very easy to do and didn't lower typing speed all that much. The only thing that would slow me down was typing numbers because they are on the top row of the keyboard and I had short fingers, so I couldn't reach the numbers accurately with any sort of speed. Usually, I ended up slowing down enough to look at what I was typing and verify I hit the correct numbers.

When I started out typing I only got up to about 35wpm because manual typewriters were just difficult to press the keys, even the electric ones slowed me down. When chat rooms and internet typing came along my speed doubled!

Reply to
Muggles

I find it totally ridiculous that the qwerty keyboard still exists! The dovorak layout is so much better and easier to use it is a quantum leap forward. And to change to a dovorak is an adventure in itself to find it on most operating systems. Another pet peeve of mine is the use of the term 'centrifugal force' as it simply does not exist no matter how you view it. The correct term would be 'centrifugal reaction' to an applied force field. Gonna sit down now...

Reply to
Phil Kangas

The closest relationship that I can find between stoves and The Beach Boys is this:

The Beach Boys have an album named "All Summer Long"

Ashley Stove has an album named "All Summer Long"

Ashley is the brand name of a line of wood/coal burning stoves

Ashley is now part of The United States Stove Company

The Beach Boys performed a song named Surfin' USA

What goes around, comes around.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Do you think programming is a mans world job?

Reply to
Muggles

You're both pretty quick on that thread drift.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wow. So the Beach Boys are part of the Stove-Industrial Complex.

Reply to
Micky

When computers came along, my error rate doubled.

Reply to
Micky