patio doors not locking

Please can someone help me!!! Tonight i was unable to lock my sliding patio doors i had to lift the door of the runner because the top plastic bolt bit had turned in the unit.. not sure on make of the doors but it is a sliding door has plastic bit at top that locks into a hole and then had four screws on side that lock into place with a push down handle and key,,

The problem seems to be with the top bit it doesnt actually come out of the door to go into the hole in the frame but stays within the door itself and then when you unlock it it sits too low in the plastic casing allowing it to turn freely into the wrong direction how can i get this lifted so that it sits where it shoud be is there a screw i should tighten somewhere

Please Help me

Thank you for your time

Lydia

Reply to
lidiwhite

Any chance of posting a link to a picture of the lock?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Without seeing the lock, I can only guess.

It could be a broken or worn part within the lock. It could also be accumulated dirt within lock thus preventing it from moving freely.

If you are able, take lock apart, clean it and reinstall. Not as difficult as you may think. Look for broken pieces on floor.

Reply to
franz frippl