Patching hole in yard lamp pole

When I went out to string Christmas lights on the ivy growing around the lamp pole in the front yard, I noticed that there is a hole in the pole about the size of a quarter. I can see the electrical wires through the hole.

Is there some kind of plug that I can get to plug the hole?

The pole is black. What if I just wrapped it 4-5 times with black electrician's tape?

The pole is almost completely covered with ivy so neither the hole nor my patch will be visible.

Reply to
Prof Wonmug

Got a real hardware store nearby? The kind with drawers full of hardware, including oddball parts that make you wonder who uses some of them? I've seen various sizes of rubber plugs in stores like that. Measure the hole and take a ride to the store.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Black tape will work fine. They make knockout plugs as well but in your case tape is quick and easy. Good to close it, it's a perfect habitat for wasps

Reply to
RBM

Actually, we do have a hardware store not too far away that I have only been in once because it looked more like a cross between a junk yard and an Army-Navy surplus store. Probably just the place.

Reply to
Prof Wonmug

Yes. That's called a hardware store, and in many ways, it probably makes Home Depot & Lowes look like toy stores.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I called the local hardware store. They have metal knockout plugs. What would I ask for (or search for) that would be like the black rubber grommets that snap into place but without the hole?

The hole is 3/4" dia and the pole is black.

Reply to
Prof Wonmug

Just walk in and tell them what you're trying to do. The beauty of a real hardware store is that you don't NEED to know the name of the thing you're looking for. They sell solutions.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

That sounds like a hole made for a photocell. The smallest trade sized knockout plug fits a 7/8" hole, so you may have to find a black plastic plug or grommet.

Reply to
RBM

You might ask the hardware store about a rubber cork or even a wooden one if appearance isn't a problem That would give you a little leeway on sizing. Painting the wooden cork should make it last for some time.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

if hol is low near bottom in ivy it was made that way, a opening for wire to pole, or for a pole outlet.

in either case just forget about it, build dirt up around bottom

Reply to
hallerb

I'd go with the electric tape. The tape may dry and come loose after a year or two. Sunshine contains generous ammounts of UV radiation, which is tough on electrical tape.

I've seen UV resistant black vinyl tape, but not sure it's at stores.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Aluminum tape, or even those square patches they sell in the auto body repair aisle, and a can of black spray paint, and you will be fine.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

The hole is at the top, about 2" below the cap.

Reply to
Prof Wonmug

¿¿¿¿ Does it come from volcanoes ¿¿¿¿ :-)
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

In that case, you must make this into a much bigger deal than originally thought. Find a metal artist who works in bronze and have a tiny, decorative plaque made. It should cost at least a couple hundred bucks due to the tiny, etched images in it.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It was mentioned the hole is likely for a photo-cell.

Find a dummy plug to plug it up!

1) whittle a tree branch down and make a wooden plug.

2) use a wine bottle cork and plug the hole

3) duct tape
Reply to
Oren

Mine comes from my HVAC parts house, which is pretty much the same thing. No worries. Big adress with a bunch of melted rocks, and lava and magma. Occasionally, stuff flows down the side of the building. Not molten rock, more like icicles.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Did you mean wrought iron? Outdoor bronze is so, so tacky.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Oren wrote in news:iejdi5d97213oreksiho9bebk2200ug6r1@

4ax.com:

You da man.

Reply to
Red Green

Prof Wonmug wrote the following:

I've read the replies so far. I will repeat a solution I mentioned earlier for weatherproofing AC ducts. Get some Con-tact shelf paper to wrap the pole around the hole. It comes in Black too. It will look better than electrical tape.

Reply to
willshak