Painting An Aluminum Door

I had this ugly dark brown sectional garage door(aluminum). Dunn Edwards has a metal primer and I used a white finish coat with a sprayer. Looks awesome. Everyone asked if I got a new door. Cleaned it well before hand and scuffed it up with one of those dry wall sanding pads. I think the key was the sprayer.

Reply to
John H.

There are primers specifically for "raw" aluminum...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Go to the auto paint store and get some etching 2 ppart primer. Wirebrush the door to get as much of the scale and oxide off as you can. Shoot it with the primer, then shoot on some polyurethane fortified enamel on it. That's what I did with an aluminum boat and salt water won't hurt it.

Reply to
gfretwell

I have an aluminum patio door. It's natural aluminum and looks crappy. Can it be painted white? If so, is there some special paint for aluminum? How about the tracks and sides where the door slips into -- won't the paint wear off immediately?

If it can't be painted, is there another way to color it? Black would be fine. Actually almost anything other than a yaha color like apple read or vibrant green or yellow, etc. Let's say, restricted to earthtones.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Hall

You could have it powedercoated. That would be the most durable.

You could spray pa> I have an aluminum patio door. It's natural aluminum and looks

Reply to
User Example

That's a good idea. Just be sure to wear a cartridge mask when you shoot the polyurethane!

Reply to
User Example

I was specifically thinking of the raw Al primers, not over a pre-painted.

Did some old gutters on former house and they lasted several years--at least 'til we moved. :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

and the primer. it does a pretty aggressive job on your lungs too.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

You need a pretty aggressive primer. The oxiide that protects aluminum makes an effective barrier for paint too. If you don't etch into the base metal the paint will flake off.

Reply to
gfretwell

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Hall

That's what they make specific-application primers for and why I mentioned them specifically...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Respirator and a Tyvec suit.

Reply to