Painting a mobile home...

....without it looking like trailer trash "lives here" anyone know of a site or some common sense on trailer color combinations.

B-4 you jump into the answer, my question is sincere, I rode around a few large trailer courts looking but could not come up with anything. What effects the outcome is....the color of the trailers skirting (Wal-Mart Marzipan).....trim (Not a lot, mostly on top & in the very front).......Fake shutters (on most windows except 2 areas)......Plants (one large round green bush in front)....age, about 30 years old but well maintained.

So far we have come up with the same color as the skirting (marzipan) & deep brown (buckeye) but sadly it's a very common variation of a lot of trailers. It would just be nice to see or simulate alternative color schemes.

Thanks,

DE

Reply to
DoubleEntendre

What's wrong with "trailer trash"? You got to have that look to get on the Jerry Springer show.....

Most trailers are aluminum siding. You need a paint for aluminum. As for color, thats your choice and asking others what color to paint your house is like asking your neighbor to take a crap for you.

Mark

----------------------

Reply to
maradcliff

I'd go for white with a dark trim/shutter color -- like black, dark blue, or burgundy, or dark green. Or perhaps a sandstone/beige sort of color with a darker earthtone for the shutters/trim. Colors may look good on a paint chip but totally tacky when applied to the whole house. It's nice to see someone fix up their home. Nothing wrong with a mobile home. I had a friend who bought one for $1000 that had a nasty interior. He painted the outside and gutted the interior: installed new paneling, carpet, new kitchen cabinetry, etc.. Looked brand new afterwards. He only pays like $200 a month for rent on the space, with no mortgage on the mobile at all. So for $200 a month, he has a nice home with a yard and a workshop. He'd have no yard or workshop if he rented a crappy apartment.

Reply to
JDL

snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

"That look" can even get you a spot on Blue Collar TV!

Reply to
Al Bundy

Hi, Well, if you live in a hot climate, or it gets very hot in summer, lighter colors will help somewhat to reduce cooling costs, and make it easier to cool versus darker colors.

Usually in this case then, White will be the default color, with virtually any shade of color to compliment it for the trim. Since you mention a marzipan skirting, perhaps a very pale pastel complimentary color would go well. It will probably help if you can bring home paint swatches, and find a "family" of complimentary colors to go well with the Skirting.

I don't think you've mentioned if either a metal, or board clad home (I'm assuming Board), but do read the cans well, so that you know you'll have a suitable paint for your application.

Glosses, or Semi-Glosses will generally look very cheesy, so I'd sugest going with all flat paints. You shouldn't need a primer, unless you are installing fresh, new pieces.

Lastly, the better your prep, the better the final results, and I cannot stress this enough with mobile homes. This is generally where most of the work is, is in the prep before painting. Make sure to do a thorough job with scraping, wire brushing, caulking, sanding, masking,etc. Your efforts here will give you then the best looking finished job.

If you have any doubts about roof issues, such as repairs, coatings, etc, it would probably be wise to attend to this first, rather than after painting. Mark

Reply to
Mark D