paint to use for painting house number on cement curb?

I've printed out a stencil with our house number to use when painting on the cement curb in front of our house.

Which type of paint is best for a newbie with tremoring hands to apply paint, a spray-paint or a brush paint?

Also, is there brand of paint that is best for this type of use?

All replies, advice, suggestions, etc. welcomed!

Aaron

Reply to
aaronep

You need to re-paint every few years. In my area its like every 3-5 years and before the paint is gone. Not sure why it goes so fast, either the sun beats the crap out of it or car tires rub it out. I would just epoxy brass numbers to the concrete curb and be done with it if the city allows.

Reply to
Fred

Greetings,

If you MUST paint the numbers:

1) print out large numbers with your printer 2) spray adhesive the paper 3) stick the paper to a piece of wood (3/4" thick -- depending on number size) 4) cut your numbers with a jigsaw (slanted inwards so they are smaller on bottom) 5) walk out to the curb and knock a chunk out with a sledgehammer 6) mix up a bucket of stiff concrete 7) reform the curb with the thick numbers embedded 8) once the concrete begins to harden pull out the numbers 9) fill the recesses with coloured mortar

Hope this helps, William

PS: If it were me I would spray a stencil with whatever spray paint I just had around anyway. File the stencil. If the paint comes off after a year simply spray it again. If the paint comes off after a month scrape it with a wire brush and try a garage floor paint.

Reply to
William.Deans

On Mon 22 Aug 2005 09:26:58p, wrote in alt.home.repair:

For best results, you should use a concrete paint; however, I don't think they're available in spray cans. If you're using a stencil, even a shakey hand can get good results. Don't overload the brust, and apply several lighter coats.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

They used green paint with black letters on mine.

Reply to
User Example

The paint you use is the second issue and the lesser of the two. The first is the prep of the concrete. Start by really cleaning the curb then use some muriatic acid to finish the cleaning. As for the paint the best would be an epoxy garage floor paint. I don't think you can get less than a couple of gallons of that at a time. You will be stuck with something else. See what you can find in an exterior floor paint.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Why not just use a router with a concrete cutting bit to draw the numbers on the concrete then fill the numbers with jello pudding.

Nevermind. I am filling stupid today.

Reply to
User Example

responding to

safestreetsolutions wrote: hi aaron my name is kaale i own a company that paints the #s down sorry where only in wa near tacoma seattle area but hears how its done 1.scrap clean with a wire brush blow or sweep 2. tape a box 2ich bigger than your

4 inch#s on the cement curb in front of our house.

Reply to
safestreetsolutions

Reply to
ransley