overflowing toilet

As a first step, try bending a coat hanger into a hook at the end. Push that in, at the same time turning it. Slowly pull it out, still turning slowly. If you get lucky, it might come out.

There is a special snake called "Closet Auger" you can buy, but for a pill bottle I doubt it will be effective.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Been there done that, though not with a pill vial. Just pull the toilet and be done with it. It's not as big a job as it seems :-).

Reply to
Luke

Sounds like you are going to have to pull the toilet off and look up the bottom. We had a resturant that had Herion users sneaking into the bathroom and they would flush the cut off pop can that they used to cook it in. They get wedged in there and when we would snake it it would pivot past them.

Reply to
On My Way

a few days ago a plastic pill vial fell in the toilet just as the flush was finishing. I tried to grab it, but didn't have a chance. Now the toilet just about over flows before it goes down. I tried plunging it, but that doesn't help at all. I tried reaching in, but don't get very far. I presume the pill vial is stuck inside (since the flush problem started when the vial went down) but don't know how to fix it. What do I do to fix this. I really hope pulling the toilet out is not required.

Reply to
John Smith

Pulling is a good option as you don't want the vial to get stuck downstream where it will be even tougher and/or more costly to retrieve.

Try a toilet plunger to pull it back out using vacuum. You may get lucky.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Plunging didn't pull it out, and a coat hanger didn't so anything; but I flushed after trying those, and it seemed to flush normally. Maybe it pushed it out? Why would it get stuck downstream? Aren't all the pipes after that big enough to pass a pill vial? I am on septic, but use it very little. (I expect the plastic will take 1,000 years to actually break down.)

Reply to
John Smith

Nope, it was okay at first ,but now is back to its old ways.

Reply to
John Smith

I'd try a closet auger-- a super strong snake/crank tool-- that has a plastic protector so it won't scratch the bowl like a hanger will;-)

I've rarely had an obstruction that this handy tool didn't get rid of. They're under $10 at your favorite home center store.

1
Reply to
Savvy 1

A filler for when the floor was made thicker?

Reply to
John Hines

Success I pulled the toilet out and found the pill vial in there just barely. The toilet barely weighed 50 pound and it only took 30 minutes. Warning I expect the closet auger (which I did buy, and planned to use until I had a look at the pipes below the toilet) would have taken it out easily enough, but then it would have gotten stuck in the first elbow it came to. It would have been much harder to get it out from there. Question The ring (or whatever you call the thing the toilet mounts on) was PVC bolted to the old iron ring. No problem, but why would that have been done? The iron ring looked sound; well, as far as I could see with all the wax that was between the PVC and the iron.

Reply to
John Smith