Outside Deck Light Installation

Hello,

Wish to install an outside Deck light. Would be about nine feet or so above the Deck, and fastened to an outside (wooden) wall.

It .looks like it will be tough to run the wires thru the inside, so am considering doing it with simple EMT semi-rigid (the grayish stuff) tubing for the wires fastened to the outside wall. Connections would all be the solvent type.

This should be, I would think, pretty weather and waterproof.

At eye level, on the outside, there is an electrical box for a small Deck light existing now that I can run the EMT in to.

Before I talk with the Town Electrical Inspector, thopught I'd ask here first.

Is this, likely, a Code approved way of doing it ?

I know they have semi-rigid tubing, and connectors that are watertight, but this seems a bit more complicated than the regular, typical EMT tubing with solvent connected elbows, etc.

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Hello,

I think I made an error in terminology.

What I was referring to, and was wondering if O.K. to use for this proposed application, is the Plastic semi rigid tubing (the bluish-grey colored tubing); the kind that you use solvent to connect elbows, etc. to.

Not metal tubing. Not sure what it is called.

Sorry for my goof.

Bob

Robert11

No problem. you need to bring the current electrical box out with a rain tight type, then you can run your "PVC" not EMT (electrical metallic tubing) from there. You could use emt as well, but then you need the rain tight fittings, not glue

Reply to
RBM

Answering your 2nd message. Paint the plastic to match the house. If you leave it as is in a year or so the sunlight will turn it an ugly brown. Don't ask me how I know this. WW

Reply to
WW

True, especially in the desert. When I had a solar heater installed for our pool. All plastic was painted by the crew.

Reply to
Oren

We have some 3", 1 1/2" and 1/2" PVC conduit at various properties, none of which has discolored. In fact, it is marked 'UV Resistant'. Some of it has been in place for a decade or more. Of course, this is in central Illinois where the sunburn season is not as intense or lengthy.

Joe

Reply to
Joe