OT: Would you report this "illegal"l request?

They'd gladly spend 20 minutes trying to squeeze a plea deal out of Bob for

*some* sort of criminal act. That costs them close to nothing. Studies I've read say the most professional violate at least one Federal law a day, some, many more.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

What gets me is the cops are allowed to lie to *you* during questioning; but if you lie to *them*, its a criminal offence for 'obstruction of justice'.

The best advice EVER on talking to the police:

Don't Talk to Cops, Part 1 - YouTube

27 min Mr. James Duane, a professor at Regent Law School and a former defense attorney, tells you why you should never agree to be interviewed ...

Don't Talk to Cops, Part 2 - YouTube

21 min An experienced police officer tells you why you should never agree to be interviewed by the police.

Reply to
G. Morgan

But Bob is convinced he was the wronged one. The 20 minutes will elapse, he will admit to nothing wrong (since in his mind he had done nothing wrong) and we are back when where we started.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Horrific lies, too. As in "We have DNA evidence that links you to the murder victim" when it's not true or "Your brother named you as his killer just before he died."

Great stuff. A long time ago as a police reporter I watch how cops clammed up tight and said only "get my delegate" when they were asked about something. Of course, they knew every trick in the book that would be used to coerce them into a possible admission against interest such as: "If you refuse to talk to us, we'll think you're guilty." Newsflash: That's WHY they are talking to you. They already think you're involved. Utter word one and potential perjury charges start racking up like miles on a taximeter.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

It takes an average prosecutor to convict a guilty man but it takes a great prosecutor to convict an innocent one. Bob may think he's the wronged one when he walks in but he may not walk out feeling that way. I recently read that a surprisingly large number of defendants take a guilty plea because of how terrorizing the DA can be regarding the outcome of a trial. Some of these people ended up being freed by DNA evidence review programs like Barry Scheck's "Innocence Project" and discussed the reasons why they felt compelled to falsely confess.

Of course, a skilled interrogator given a little more time could work wonders on Bob:

Robert Green