OT: Why Do We Live In A World Of Idiot-Garbage Packaging???

"I don't tell you no lie ...".

Got a little Panasonic beard etc trimmer from Amazon. Came entombed in the usual clear hard-plastic package common to most hand-held contrivances.

Got my pocket knife out and fiddled around. Too lite-weight for the job.

Went in the kitchen, got a larger knife. Still wasn't up to the job. Contemplated my big, corrugated saw-type knife. Decided it might involve slicing about 1/2 my finger off.

Took the Little Frankenstein down the workshop. Stared at my Wiss tin-snips, tried a test cut. Still didn't seem right.

Finally spent over 5 min. buzz-sawing the garbage-plastic packaging on a table-mounted scroll (reciprocating) saw. Successfully liberated device without destroying fingers, documentation, etc.

"Did this idiot-garbage fly in from the deepest reaches of Outer-Space???"

I guess the real question here is:

"Why Has Customer Abuse Become Institutionalized?"

Yo opinion is solicited. :-)

AQ

"The monkey and the baboon was playing 7-up. The monkey won the money but he scared to pick it up. The monkey stumbled, mama. The baboon fell. The monkey grab the money and he run like hell!" - from "Dirty Motherfuyer", Roosevelt Sykes, around 1935

Reply to
Alphonse Q Muthafuyer

What is the difference between "garbage" and "trash" / "rubbish"? Maybe when more can figure that out we might have a better idea on where to place it.

Reply to
John Jones

After one bad experience with those "tear-it-apart" packages I won't buy anything that has to run,operate or otherwise depends on moving parts and requires electricity . Once I got the package open and found out the item was really a piece of crap it was too late to return to the store. Sure if it was simply defective they would have replaced it with another of the same. But there is no assurance that the second will be any different than the first one.

Now I will only buy the item if it is packed so that it can be repacked well enough to return. It only happened to me once, but once was more than enough.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

The store manager ordered the product with the impenetrable packaging so that you can't steal it. Ask the manager to open it for you.

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

DON'T GET ME STARTED.

-- Impenetrable plastic packaging

-- Packaged music EVERYWHERE at full volume

-- No such thing as real buttermilk; it's all low-fat or no-fat

At least there's still Wild Turkey.

Reply to
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names

On Jun 1, 1:05 pm, Alphonse Q Muthafuyer wrote: Re: OT: Why Do We Live In A World Of Idiot-Garbage Packaging???

Because so many of your fellow citizens are thieves, and so many of them are so good at it. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Because shoplifters make it hard on the rest of us. Those packages are meant to keep thieves from opening them in the store.

Use a pair of scissors.

Reply to
G. Morgan

on 6/1/2008 1:05 PM Alphonse Q Muthafuyer said the following:

Utility knife, or you can buy one of those openers especially designed to open those packages. It's just a razor like blade in a plastic holder sold on TV, or you may find one in those "As seen on TV" stores in the mall, or ASOTV racks in the big drugstores (CVS). I have more important things to worry about.

Reply to
willshak

on 6/1/2008 1:18 PM John Jones said the following:

Garbage is messy. Trash and rubbish is mostly dry stuff.

Reply to
willshak

No, you don't. But you'll never admit it.

Welcome to "Zombie Nation". They'll cram such garbage down your throat just as long as you let 'em get away with it.

Not my cup of tea, to say the least.

AQ

"The monkey and the baboon was playing 7-up. The monkey won the money but he scared to pick it up. The monkey stumbled, mama. The baboon fell. The monkey grab the money and he run like hell!" - from "Dirty Motherfuyer", Roosevelt Sykes, around 1935

Reply to
Alphonse Q Muthafuyer

Garbage is unused or discarded food you place in garbage bags or in the garbage disposal. Trash is something you expect the trash collector to haul away. If you look on the shelf at the market you will see the different bags for each. You don't place trash in garbage bags and you don't put garbage in the trash. Nit picking, I know but it bugs me when someone says to through something in the garbage can when it is really a trash can.

Reply to
John Jones