(OT) Welcome back the Newspaper boy

Now we more or less are 100% in agreement . I have 2 daughters in mid twenties and like you I can't always figure out their thinking. I've gotten to the point I just ask them what's new on FB. Like you said, everything is on FB even our extended family news.

I do miss the days of active usenet newsgroups but just accept it now. I guess it's because I felt like usenet was more personal and the web seems so impersonal. I'm probably just getting old, old in attitude or both.

Reply to
Doug

I dont let anyone put myself on FB as far as photos or personal stuff. I actually got quite angered at a good friend for doing so. If someone says something like "our dad fixed the dryer today", that's fine, or a friend says "I went camping with my buddy and we did......". That's ok too. But when they mention names, post photos, or talk personal stuff, that's where I get angry.

Usenet *WAS* more personal, and still can be on the few remaining active groups. I'm old myself, but it's not just me. The internet has changed and for the worse. In fact, much worse. Try to even get some clipart of a turkey for example. You'll waste an hour getting to sites that want you to pay for that piece of art, or sites that are worthless entirely but link to nearly any search word, and sites that want you to register just to download that picture, and that dont even address the extreme amount of advertising and the popups and other shit.

I only accept it because there is no other choice. However, these days, I spend about 70% less time on the internet than I did in the 90's. Back then it was fun to just look at websites, and download freeware to try out, and just chit chat on the newsgroups. These days most websites are more junk than value, so I only go on the web to research something, such as how to fix the brakes on my car. I've mostly given up downloading any kind of software because it's all half working demos, or what they call "free", which in the end is not (the download is free, the software is not). And most newsgroups are either dead or filled with people who either bash others, or use every newsgroup for politics, or other annoyances. Also, it seems there is no humor on the newsgroups anymore.

I remember when the CB radios were a big thing in the 70's, and everyone had fun on them. That died, just the way I think the internet soon will. Except the internet will continue in some ways, such as facebook, but will have no real value. People often tell me I should get a more updated computer, with a newer edition of Windows, etc. I ask them why. For all the other things I do on the computer (non-internet), even my 13 year old Windows 98 one still works fine. It's just the internet that keeps adding stuff that the older systems cant handle. But what are they adding that is of value? In my opinion, NOTHING. I'm perfectly happy (and prefer), the older simple text and photos ONLY sites. Pretty much like a newspaper or magaine. After all, why do we need all this flash content, and scripts, and moving animated stuff, just to post some information?

A good example is this: A local festival used to have a simple basic website. I could go on it, and in a few minutes I'd know who was performing, what date and time, and so on. Last year they made the entire site using flash junk. It would not load at all using Firefox, or another Mozilla based broswer. It only worked with IE, and my version of IE was too old to work properly. I spent almost 2 hours fighting with the samn site, and finally just called their office and asked them to recite the entire schedule for me on the phone. They were not pleased, and told me to go to their website. That's when I told them the whole story, and that it dont work right. This was the opening day for the event, and whoever created the thing, apparently tried to fix it, and crashed the whole site. I went to the event, and heard numerous people complaining that the website dont work......

I went to their office and asked them if they could please go back to the old website that they used to have. The guy said that the person who designs it, dont know how to make it like it used to be. That's when I wrote down my phone number and email address, and told them that I'd be happy to do their site next year, and it will be just like it used to be, and wont have any useless junk on it. Just the dates, schedule, and some photos. I am hoping they call me next summer.

Reply to
homeowner

OTOH, I carry my cell phone every day to work. Carrying a newspaper around looks rather odd. Oh, and no Wi-Fi, just 4G. ;-)

I gave up on local rags long ago. Most refused to stop littering my driveway.

Reply to
krw

I warned them of a one-dollar handling fee. They didn't stop.

I sent them an invoice. They didn't stop.

I sent them an invoice with interest on the previous balance and typical dunning language. They stopped.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

...and post it on Twitter. At least it'll be good for something.

Reply to
krw

Yep, unpaid circulation is still circulation. They can't afford to admit how bad their business really is. Their fault.

Reply to
krw

There are STILL home deliveries of a daily newspapers?

How quaint. I had no idea.

Reply to
HeyBub