OT - Toy Money

All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.

So, the bills got to be paid. The church tithes and offerings. The electric, rent, etc. But, that gets boring in a hurry. How much to spend on fun? Does anyone have a formula? Percentage, or what?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Fun can be a bike ride (assuming you already have the bike, of course). Then when you're done, you're too tired to spend any more money.

Assuming you have food, of course.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Unless your church does actual real-world good works (funding mission trips doesn't count) with the tithe, I'd start with redirecting that.

-- aem, trusting organized religion even less than organized government or organized crime, sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

After all of the above, and savings, whatever is left. ;-) Put another way, as long as the obligations are taken care of, it's your money.

Reply to
krw

All play and no retirement savings makes jack a frustrated old guy who's still working to keep ends met. Fun is not a percentage...it's a threshold that most people never meet. So they spend on fun anyway and hope for magic when they're old.

People who are financially secure for the long term with an uncertain future don't have to ask what percentage.

Reply to
mike

When the bills are paid, then what is left over can go to fun. Simple as that! (I have a monthly budget in Excel spreadsheet, so I know on the 1st of the month how much money I have for what....)

And when things are tight, I cut out optional stuff. Instead of eating out, eat at home, don't go to movies, etc. Fun might just be going for a short drive or something low cost.

Same with work.... Work first in the morning, then fun after that. And the fun is more fun knowing my work/chores are all done!

Reply to
Bill

Anything that's left, but church and charities are excluded, i.e. fun first ;)

Reply to
Frank

That reminds me of when I was in college. One year, I worked a summer job in a flat die forge shop. Discussing money during coffee break one day, one of the old black guys said that he split his check three ways; one for rent, one for groceries and one for Mr. Kessler. When I asked who Mr. Kessler was, he replied that it was his favorite brand of whiskey.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Your answer all depends on whether flashlights and batteries are fun. :)

Reply to
Thomas

That's a secular point of view. Now that I'm living the various covenants, I find that God keeps His end. When I pay an honest tithe, so many things work so much better. Reducing my tithe is false economy.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Of course, you're right. There is a balance in the middle some where. And, it's the balance I'm seeking. I'm not counting on Social Security to be there for me. Or, they will keep advancing the eligible age until it's about 125 years old to start collecting. I also expect the retirement and mutual funds to be raided for some "crisis" of the government's making. Still, I do need to keep saving as best possible.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sounds like that fellow was taking care of himself, as best he knew how. I'm not a drinker, so my approach will be different. I respect others choices, even when they aren't the same as mine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've been outed. My real secrets are now made public on the message board.

Well, I did it. Treated myself to a toy. Bought a 4C mag light to go with my 4 cell LED bulb. Going to make a mixed up frankenstein light. Built from parts. Not that I need a four c LED mag, but it sure looks like it is going to be fun to make.

I was seeking absolution and forgiveness for buying yet another flashlight.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If you're paying a tithe, having fun must be against your religion. It's in the handbook.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Strange, I missed that lesson. I musta been out, having fun? I'm in trouble, now.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You people sure do a lot of stereotyping.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That's the way they are. ;-)

Reply to
keith

I have a lot of trouble just monotyping.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

You monotypers live such boring lives.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What do Mormons do for fun? Whatever it is after you have a year's supply of food stashed away, then go do it with whatever you have left? I met a Mormon gal in a bar one time, well she had been a Mormon. A very nice lady. My favorite flashlights are the double AA size two batteries with a decent reflector and krypton bulb, and the million candles rechargeable

12 volt spot light. That thing lights up the night.
Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe