OT: Sugary drinks and diabetes

In another thread -- lost track of which -- I ranted about young girls and women drinking gallons of cokes instead of milk & milk products, with resultant damage to bone formation; early osteoporosis; problematic childbearing, etc.

Now there is a study linking consumption of these sugary drinks to diabetes as well.

Talk to your daughters, granddaughters, nieces, etc. It's hard, if not impossible, for youngsters to visualize the future, but the smarter ones with better survival instincts might take advice, with good results for their futures. Adults modeling behavior would be helpful, too!

Wonder if somebody is studying the effects of these poisons on young males as well; be surprised if effects were confined to just females.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Hi, You think milk is good? Oh, no, it is acidic and mucous causing food. Very bad for many kids and young and old. Coke does not contain real sugar. It is full of HFCS which is double molcule sweet substance which is a killer for all, espcially diabetic folks. In my book 3 things are poison for our halth. Salt(sodium), milk, sugar. I know, been in health food store business for ~20 years. Simply you are what you eat/drink. Health is your choice. Simple logic if one likes sweet stuff, pancrea will wear out leading o diabetic condition. Then blood sugar level goes out of control, poor digestion occurs, blood circulation problem occurs.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

First... For every study, there are other studies that dis-credit the previous study. So, IMHO, there are too many useless studies. Studies are just a way for some "lab" to get government funding.

Second, IMHO, each body will react differently to the substance we put in it. Some will have an adverse reaction, some won't. Some will have a delayed reaction.

Third, in the big schemes of things, we will never know what we will kill us or what we will die from, so live life to its fullest and do what you feel is best for you.

Fourth, just because you eat healthy foods, doesn't mean a damn thing. What you think is healthy now, may harm you anyway.

Hank

Reply to
Hank

Reply to
trader4

If it tastes good, it's good for you.

If sweet tasting foods actually caused harm, the "sweet tooth" gene would have been wiped out millions of years ago.

About 6% of the population has hypertension. Of those, about half have the kind of hypertension aggravated by salt. What that means is that for 97% of the population, the amount of salt consumed has no effect on the body.

In controlled experiments, volunteers have consumed up to 25 grams of salt per day for several years (think prison populations). No deleterious effects were ever found - the body simply excretes what salt it doesn't need.

These basic facts regarding human physiology and evolution have, however, been circumvented by modern distribution and manufacturing methods and by artificial additives.

Reply to
HeyBub

Wiki article is good:

If worried about HFCS, you should also avoid fruit, particularly apples and pears ;)

Reply to
Frank

DAGS 'metabolic disease carbonated beverages'.

This is the fourth stupidest thing you've posted...and that's saying quite a bit. Exercise the dormant brain cells with this conundrum, what has changed in the typical human diet in, oh, say the last ten thousand years? For extra credit, show your time algorithm for human evolution (include all your assumptions and wild assed guesses), and on the same chart graph the human stupidity curve with respect to the ages. Please omit yourself from the stupidity curve as you're such an outlier that you'd ruin it for the rest of humanity.

Brilliant, Sparky. You manage to refute your premise in a single post. I still want to see your workup.

RicodJour

"Now there is a study"??? You need to make a daily habit of reading a news source aimed at grownups. This is old news. Really old.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Fructose is a simple *single* molecule sugar, as opposed to cane sugar (sucrose), a double-molecule sugar, which gets broken down into its constituents, glucose and fructose, early in the digestive process. So much for your dietary theories.

In your book... What a laugh!

Reply to
krw

Actually, I don't think it is much older than 25 years old. I only heard about it by 1990.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

The quantities of sugar and fat being consumed is way beyond what is considered normal or safe. HFCS is in darn near everything anymore. It's cheap it's heavy (a lot of food is sold by weight) and the gov't subsidizes corn production. Read the label, learn what a normal sized portion is and live healthy. FWIW in this weeks MMWR, Incidence of End-Stage Renal Disease Attributed to Diabetes Among Person With Diagnoed Diabetes.

FatterDumber& Happier Moe

Milk has a pretty big load of sugar, too.

Reply to
salty

Milk gives me the farts. Wanna sniff?

Reply to
Joe Malins

Sorry. I forgot science is hard. Not as hard as maths, but plenty hard. Moreover, I am just your humble reporter. These observations came from a book, "Healthy Pleasures," written by Drs Robert Ornstein (psychologist and brain researcher) and David Sobel (Director of Preventive Medicine, Kaiser Permanente).

The ISBN for the book is 0-201-52385-X if you want to look it up.

For some, even readings is hard.

Reply to
HeyBub

Acidic? Please elaborate.

What's wrong with mucous?

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

That muscous thing has been disproven by actual doctors using actual research. Some old wive's tales are true, but not all.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote

Milk has a pH of 6.5 to 6.7. It can turn to below 5 as it sours though.

Orange juice runs from about 3.3 to 4..

IIRC, Coke is in the 2+ range.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Lactic acid. That's what "cuts" jalapeno pepper acid.

Nothing.

Reply to
krw

Thanks, but I wanted Tony Hwang to explain himself. What's the problem with milk being acidic? As you pointed out, orange juice is worse.

When my mother was a kid, my grandmother wouldn't let her drink milk when she ate fish because "it would sour the milk in your stomach". My grandmother was not the brightest bulb in the box. My mother didn't mind, though, because it afforded her a rare opportunity to drink Coke. (Thus bringing us back around to the topic of this thread.)

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

How about they do what my parents did, and say NO?

Then again, when I was a kid soda was EXPENSIVE. It was a TREAT, not the primary means of hydration.

The problem isn't with HFCS in and of itself, either... It's the amount we consume.

Here again, sweets used to be EXPENSIVE. Ice cream, donuts, candy, cake, pie was a TREAT, not the main course.

If food weren't so damn cheap...

Reply to
mkirsch1