OT Stop signs

But not when Philo was a boy, because that was the only telephone service there was. And you were lucky to have that.

Beaver lives in a better house than I did, but afaict, they only have one extension.

Reply to
micky

The first stop signs appeared in Detroit in 1915 - black on white. By

1922 urban signs were standardized, with different standards for urban and rural signs. They then went to yellow in 1924, and red on yellow in 1930. In 1954 all stop signs in USA were white on red.

Before reflecterized signs, they used "cat's eyes" in the letters to reflect lights.

Reply to
clare
[snip]

I've been to the local Christmas parade, where the fire trucks (red) and police cars (white with blue marking) pass just a few feet away. Those (LED?) lights are very bright and the sirens almost loud enough to hurt.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

That's right. I can still remember the day I came home from school and my mom showed me they put a dial on the phone and calls were no longer placed through the operator. I did not see how that was an improvement.

Reply to
philo

I remember that day too. Upstairs in my parents' bedroom they installed a different phone, but on the wall phone in the kitchen with a metal case about 2x2x3.5" and a hook, he had taken off the 2x2 cover, and put on a cover that had a dial sticking out of it, on a short pedestal I think.

One time I called my best friend, who lived across the street, and all I hard was click-click, click-click-click, clic... and I hung up, and the phone rang. He was calling me.

Reply to
micky

I still remember by best friend's number from the year 1955:

22756
Reply to
philo

I've only been able to do this once, but I called a guy and got beeps in my ear. I put on my best voice and said "we're sorry, the number you have reached doesn't want to talk to you. Go home and don't come out all day." Then I hung up and called back. He wasn't sure how I got onto his son's message machine.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon
[snip]

When I moved here, all phone numbers were in the form 657-xxxx, and you could make a local call by dialing 5 digits*. Younger people probably don't remember this, but some older ones do. When I bought a washer at an old store and the salesman asked for my number, he wrote down 7- and

4 more digits.

Also, I got an ATM card with a 4-digit PIN. Someone at the bank told me about how some people will write it down with a 7- before it as misinformation so it looks like a phone number.

  • - a couple of exceptions: a pay phone would require 7 digits, and calling someone on your party line required (IIRC) 14 digits.
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

That was the ending theme of a Popeye cartoon. Olive Oyl was kissing him repeatedly and he was yelling Don't. . ..........................Stop .......................................Don't...................................Stop.........................Don't...... Stop.................................Don't........Stop.................Don't Stop.

Olive Oyl was a little too thin, if you ask me.

Reply to
micky

I recall a legal case filed (unsuccessfully) against a fire company and truck driver for allegedly giving a man a heart attack by honking their incredible loud horns when they were directly behind him at a stop light. I recall there have been other, similar suits about loud bells and sirens. Nevertheless, sirens keep getting louder and lights brighter every year. Here's the latest in loud noise technology:

Robert Green

I don't recall much about it... but I do have a pencil I got from my grandmother who lived in an even smaller town and the Chevy dealer's number was 66

Reply to
philo

I used to live in 1-xxxx, and a couple towns over you could dial the xx6-1234.

I hope when the town got a bit larger, the Chevy dealer got a larger number, 666. Hell on wheels.

Chevrolet, a real beast. Look at the mark.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I remember my home phone number from when I was six years old.

JE8-7XXX I'm not posting the numbers because there are too many morons who read posts and would actually dial the phone number. I've no idea who has my old phone number today. o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas