OT stealing a house for non-payment of taxes

This is my first house. My father always took care of the bills. Since he passed away I've screwed up several things. My sister says that someone she knows almost lost their house because they ignored some taxes, even though their was no mortgage on the house. Someone else was paying the taxes and she came within a few days of the other person being able to take the house for about $400.

Is that possible? Is that state taxes or is it impossible to know without research? I'm kinda scared.

Reply to
Not so quick

Tax Sales are common to most areas. It generally takes at least two years of unpaid property taxes before the property is listed as a 'Tax Sale' and then it takes several more years wherein the owner has ample opportunity to pay the back taxes and redeem the property. I am certain that the owner would get at least an annual notice of the tax due situation during this time as a reminder that he/she needs to pay the taxes before the property is sold for taxes owing. Nothing is going to happen in a week or two if you fall behind in paying your property taxes. Go down to your City Hall in person and talk to someone there about your tax situation and what you need to do to clear the matter up. Des

Reply to
Des Perado

Taxes. Federal/State can file a claim if you get caught up in tax evasion (Non-compliance of filing income). Local taxes such as City tax. Here we have property tax (County). If you pay late, there is a penalty. Usually 5% after the due date through 30 days, from there it goes up to a higher %.

They don't just take your home, they are willing to work with you. You'll get plenty of notices b/4 any action is taken. Last thing they do is put a public notice in the local paper for auction if they must force a lien. The homes do not just go for the taxes which are owed, a lot more usually. But then I see homes up for auction where $200k lien is on them and the home only goes for $140k on auction. Means you are still stuck paying the balance unless you file bankruptcy or some other paperwork which you should have had a lawyer long b/4 that point.

Get someone to handle your financial business if you're not capable.

Reply to
Gunner

The reply given by Des is exactly correct, and very good advice.

The taxes are usually local County taxes, but they become liens on real property. Here in Florida, our public schools are mostly funded by real estate taxes which are levied each year and automatically become tax liens on real property until they are paid.

If you now own the home then of course you should have a Deed. Take that Deed down to your local City Hall (so they will have a description) and check on the status of your real estate taxes, and also confirm that your name and mailing address are correctly shown on the tax records. They will set you straight. Most larger cities have a separate real estate tax office, but City Hall can direct you.

If you **don't** have a Deed, see a lawyer.

Good Luck !!

--James--

Reply to
James Nipper

Property taxes have to be paid yearly (usually to the county), or in many states someone can buy the property for the amount of back taxes. I would think that a mail notification would be sent to the address before tax sale and that you would still have some time after tax sale to reclaim it (assuming you have title). But rules vary, so you should check with whatever government handles property tax in your area.

In my case I purchased a home on a double lot, and because the title insurance company paid the first installment late, there was not enough to cover taxes and interest for both lots. And my mortgage holder (escrow) overlooked second installment for that lot. My first sign of a problem was when I received notification in October that it would be sold for taxes in November. Due to prompt action on my part the title company paid their share for first installment, but Washington Mutual was dragging their ass about paying the other installment from escrow, so I paid that myself just before tax sale.

So it would be in your best interest to make sure that any property tax due in 2003 was paid, and pay any due in 2004. Otherwise you may get a knock on the door some day by the county sheriff asking you to vacate.

Reply to
David Efflandt

Yup.

Property taxes. Call your tax assessor for details.

Oughta be. Pay up or face the consequences.

And I'm sorry, but you get no sympathy from me. I have to pay my taxes, you should have to pay yours. If you can't afford them, sell the house and move to one you can afford, or an apartment. If you let me know the property address, I'd be interested in buying it at a tax sale and renting it back to you at the market rate. At least until I got a better offer to flip it and make some cash.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

You're heartless...

Reply to
indago

Why? Because he pays his taxes? Its simple...if you cant afford to put gas in your car, you park it....if you cant afford to pay property taxes, you need to sell the home. Renters dont have that property tax to deal with, so his offer actually makes sense. The OP could stay in the home, remove the property tax debt, and simply pay rent....btw, thats all a damn property tax is anyway...you think you own the home? Forget to pay your taxes and see...

Reply to
*CBHVAC*

If someone can't afford to the pay the taxes on the home, maybe the cable modem should be the first to go. The original message appeared to have been posted via a broadband company.

Maybe it's a troll?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

[...]

Think about it as waste control. If this house is not bought at the tax sale and the county/town can't sell it, it will be torn down and the land sold to developers. We make decisions that affect our future wealth. If we make a bad decision about taxes or loans then our estate is destroyed through tax sale or foreclosure. If there is nobody (i.e. investor) to pick up the pieces, turn the property around and return it to society (paying taxes all the time...) then not only the personal estate is destroyed, but also our common investment in the property and its servicing is voided. This way a personal loss with already high social cost is worsened by a material loss to the society.

EJ

Reply to
EJ

Geez. Why do you guys who buy that "no sympathy" crap even bother to talk to people. It's boorish and rude. So keep it in you pants with your brain.

Reply to
Not so quick

Reply to
Not so quick

The feds are willing to "work with you" if you come up with some money and take the initiative. They are also willing to place a lien on your bank accounts and professional licenses, and come get anything of value that you own.

Round these parts, unpaid property taxes go to the auction stage within a couple of months after the due date. Very unwise to let it go. It is basic, before "fixing up the place" or mowing the grass or paying the utilities. Take care that the property taxes are paid before you think of anything else. Good luck :o)

Reply to
norminn