OT. Remington Moving

their headquarters from New York to Georgia. Maybe there will be a couple houses for sale around IIion, NY.

Dean Hoffman

Also, Smith & Wesson is moving ~750 jobs from MA, CT and MO, to TN.

Smith & Wesson to move headquarters from Massachusetts to Tennessee

Beeper

Welcome south to gun-friendly Georgia, y'all.

Join Connecticut Valley Arms HQ in Lawrenceville, GA; Glock's North American HQ and manufacturing plants in Smyrna, GA; Daniel Defense founded and HQ in Savannah, GA; Heckler And Koch Commercial Sales USA in Columbus, GA; Taurus manufacturing plant in Bainbridge, GA and dozens of specialty, smaller and less well known gun makers- plus I probably missed one or two other big ones...

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Just one warning - from Canada - ... when the jobs move south - they might keep on moving south .. or east.

My neighbour was an _ace_ upholsterer for a major brand - rhymes with crazy-boy ... lost his job when that company went south to USA. Crazy Boy at that time started sending product to Asia to be sewn and then shipped back to USA to be assembled ... Duh. ... probably had the "Made In USA" label ? dunno. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Reasons for move are different. I recall when textile business went south because of unions but this move is due to unfriendly governments.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

There's the crux - does "business" O W N "government" .. ? Yep. No doubt. Pick your poison. John T.

Reply to
hubops

My brother works for a lumber company. He was talking about the shortage of various things. It might be February before a builder can get windows for a new house around Omaha, NE. He also said it was cheaper to send raw materials for something overseas to be assembled then brought back to the U.S.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Yup - Crazy Boy was 5 blocks or so from my home. The stuff is now "made in the USA of world sourced parts". A lot of the leather abd fabric never sees north American soil until it is cut and stitched to fit. Waterloo Furniture Components lost a lot of production from the move as well if I remember correctly.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Big Business owns the government but the gun business is too small to own much of anything. Banks and insurance companies, that is big business. They gave politicians $206,451,991 so far in the run up to an off year election (2022) You can own a lot of politicians for that kind of money.

Reply to
gfretwell

That is what is happening throughout the wood business. We send Asia logs and they send furniture back. We have a furniture company here who has had a tag line for the last

30 years "You don't have to go to North Carolina any more".

He should be saying "You don't have to go to Vietnam, we bring it to you."

Reply to
gfretwell

I knew some people who worked at S&W in Springfield. Lucky for them they're probably all dead or retired by now. Polishing frames was a brain dead job but it paid well.

Reply to
rbowman

As long as they can keep that Abrams creature in a box...

Reply to
rbowman

Firearm manufacturers have to be careful if they have an eye on government contracts. SIG Sauer is a separate company under the L&O umbrella in Newington NH.

Reply to
rbowman

I don't suppose the taxes on businesses in the various states have anything at all to do with the move...

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Some for taxes and labor, some moved because the government of the state became unfriendly toward guns and were even sueing them, trying to put them out of business.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The state of New York going after the NRA should give warning to all the gun makers.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I am sure it is a big part of it but when your state legislature won't even let you sell your product in the state that it is made, it might be time to move. That is why Beretta moved from Md to Tennessee. When they opened that plant in PG county they said it was good to be close to the legislators who bought their products (the M9 at the time) but they decided Annapolis was more of a detriment than any advantage they had being 15 miles from DC.

Reply to
gfretwell

Forgot the source of this saying but it's on point...

Remember: An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

The corollary is if you have to beg somebody for it, it ain't a right.

Reply to
rbowman