OT phone solicitation

wrote:

Ah, if we were only as smart as you are. And as good looking. What a wonderful world this would be.
Steve
Joe J wrote:

Joe J wrote:

Get the name of the person they're after.
Send them a letter, over "his" signature, demanding they stop bothering you. Under federal law, once they receive such a letter they may contact you ONE more time to acknowledge that they've received your notice. The penalty for violation of this law is SEVERE (I would tell you what it is, but I can't spell disembowel).
On a more prosaic level, Time-Warner may have a facility for blocking incoming 'phone numbers.
Joe J wrote:

Have some fun with them record it and put it on youtube. Standard answers The hell ya say. Then again, The hell ya say. Do you take credit cards, when they say yes, tell them "I an't got one, I was just wondering? Send me proof and I'll pay it. What color are your eyes? What are you wearing ? You know that reminds me of a story,...... and start telling a long story, a real long one but drag it out and try to keep them from hanging up. Some from youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh4EPcOpSy8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkE1Nbk-wuI&feature=related
Be original.

I let the answering machine pickup all unknown callers. I basically gave up.
[...]

Have you reported the calls to the appropriate state and Federal agencies? Here in Indiana, the state is very aggressive in pursuing violators. I used to receive 3 or 4 telemarketing calls every night; by a few months after the Indiana law took effect, that dropped to 3 or 4 a _year_.

Read this: http://www.tcpalaw.com/free/47usc.txt Pay particular attention to (b)(3) "Private right of action" -- bottom line is that if they keep calling you after you've notified them to stop, you can sue them for $500.

The bill collectors need a working number to contact you, you could just not use the line for phone and get a cell phone. I think if you disconnect it they will find your cell number, so you have given them a number, it will cost you but you will get peace and quiet. There may be other ways like others have said, but collectors do this for a living and know tricks to harass you, The extra line works, they think they are bothering you and are happy.

qwest has call blocking feature for a couple of bucks a month. It allows up to 15 different phone numbers to be blocked. I used to get 2-3 calls a night, usually from charities, which i think don't have to follow the Do Not Call list. I just jot down the caller ID number on the second call (first one is when I tell them not to call) It works pretty good for me.
On 7/23/2010 4:26 PM, ransley wrote:

I bought a MagicJack several years ago when they first came out. The gadget quit working but for $20 a year I keep the phone number and give it out to anyone who is likely to violate my privacy like banks, hospitals, insurance companies and especially government agencies. The number rings and goes to voice-mail which is sent to my Email address as a wave file along with the Caller ID information, time and date. If I need to speak to the person, I call them back from a prepaid cellphone that I keep turned off unless I'm using it. You have to pay for privacy but it's not expensive if you're creative.
TDD

Check out Google Voice

No help to me. I have the TW bundle which includes phone for a 2 yr contract. I can't cancel the phone w/o paying more. And I do have a Goggle Voice number.
On 07/24/10 09:59 am, Joe J wrote:

Can't you have them give you a new phone number?
Perce

I was thinking you would forward calls from your regular number to your Google number, then Google would block calls you tell it to. What I'm not sure about is whether the incoming number would be considered the original caller or your regular phone which is where Google is getting the call from.
On 7/23/2010 2:59 PM, Joe J wrote:

As for the debt collector, I'd go to the state ag. I did this once with AT&T. Even if you owe them money, which I didn't, there are limits they can go to in pestering you.
As for the cold callers, and faxers, they have been getting bolder lately. A lot of these calls come from outside the country and there is nothing the US can/will do about it. I tried to get on the Canadian do not call list but they only accept Canadian numbers. Also a lot of the phone numbers are fake.

Get their address and mail them a "cease and desist" letter from your lawyer.

If a company already "has business with you" then the DNC list doesn't matter.How they figure they already have business with you is yet to be determines,I think.

I use my answering machine to screen all calls.If I don't recognize their name or I know I have no business with them,I just delete the call.I'm getting calls from American something-or-other about a debt,when I know I have no debts. I Googled them,and they have a history of calling the wrong numbers and endlessly using an robocaller to leave messages.And not correcting their mistake when told about it. IOW,answering their call just encourages them to call more. Right now,they seem to be listening and just hanging up when they hear the message.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Isn't there some wav file or similar that you can put on your computer that answers the phone with some kind of tone indicating the line is not in service that the robocaller then thinks the number is dead and pulls it out of the computer?
and name it after the IRS.

Good point. Some place used to sell that on late night tv, and it was also on the web for free.
The tone is the one you hear when you get a recording that says "OOOOOOeee. The number you have called is not in service." But you only want to play the tone, not the words, which will confuse your friends. :) I didn't know what the squealing was for until I heard about this.
mm wrote:

My brother recorded the whole thing and made it his answering machine message. The first time I called I thought I dialed the wrong number, the second time I figured it out and waited for the beep. About a year later they came out with that thing for sale. I told him about it and he said "no shit, I haven't been getting many of those calls anymore!"

LOL.
I had an early phone machine that was just an 8-track player with a casette deck in the same box, and a circuit board to relate them to each other. The 8-track tape was the outgoing message, and a piece of metal tape made it stop after one play.
The cassette recorded the message and started immediately. I thought I would be very bored hearing my own outgoing message over and over when I played my messages, but strangely, I never tired of my own voice.
But it was fun machine. It had no "beep". I had to make my own. For a while, I hit a wok with a wooden spoon and said "Please leave a message at the sound of the gong."
Sometimes I just said "Beep".
If I just said "PLease leave a message now", some people got all stymied. They wanted a beep.
But best of all was the message that said. "Hello..........Who is this?...............Why did you call?........." They htought it it was a real person on the phone and I got to hear everything they said, including when they figured out it was a machine talking to them.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

You might try forwarding your number to another that IS out of service. How you find such a number is a mystery.