(OT) Pants length for men

On Sun, 13 Nov 2016 08:20:14 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

Good point. I am not sure about other places but you can usually find a very capable Singer at a thrift shop around here for $20-30. For another $50 the Singer shop will tune it up like new, if it has a problem at all. It was worth the $50 for me, just to have the guy show me how to run it. (wind the bobbin, thread it etc) These days I bet there are You Tubes showing you all of that stuff.
On 11/13/2016 11:20 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Maybe I'll learn when Dewalt, Festool or Hilti makes sewing machines.
On Sunday, November 13, 2016 at 12:23:26 PM UTC-5, Dev Null wrote:

Sure you wouldn't settle for Husqvarna ? I had a fine Husqvarna sewing machine for 30 years. I finally had to give it up when I couldn't get parts for it anymore.
Cindy Hamilton
On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 12:46:01 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

Are you serious? I never heard they made sewing machines....
On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 15:22:28 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

They make some FANTASTIC sewing machines and sergers. Not cheap, mind you!!!
On 11/14/2016 5:58 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

My wife has two of them. You could buy a nice used car instead. http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/en-US/Machines

And I thought they only made chainsaws!
On 11/14/2016 4:58 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I used to have a surger when I sewed professionally. Now, I just have my Pfaff.
--
Maggie

What is a Surger? (or a Pfaff)? Are those brands of sewing machines or what?
On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 23:41:30 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

A Pfaff is the brand of sewing machine I use. It does about 100 different stitches and decorative embroidery... is also programmable, but I didn't use that feature very often. The machine I have is 24 years old and still functions perfectly. My only issue was it needed the presser foot mechanism cleaned about a month ago. Pfaff makes very good machines.
The other machine is a type of sewing machine. It can have up to 5 threads and also a bobbin. It sews the seam, and cuts and trims the seam at the same time. Most professionally made clothing uses surgers on most seams. BTW, I'm not sure of the spelling... surger or serger? I used my 4 threaded surger so much I wore it out.
--
Maggie

This sounds like some high tech machinery. I'm familiar somewhat with the old machines where all it does is make the needle go up and down. That is all they did. That's how my mothers machine worked, probably from the 50s. I never understood why she had to roll bobbins and put them under the machines deck, when there was a full spool of thread on the top...
On 11/15/2016 3:38 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

This is the same model machine I own: https://brubakerssewing.com/product/pfaff-creative-1473-pre-owned/
If you're interested, you can find the manual here that shows exactly what it can do: https://www.manualslib.com/products/Pfaff-Creative-1473-Cd-2912404.html
My machine is 24 years old and still functions as if it is new. :)
My original sewing machine was a plain Singer machine. It had a zigzag stitch, buttonhole stitch, and straight stitch, and I used it to make everything I could think of! lol
This machine is close to the serger I used to have: http://www.joann.com/brother-1034d-3-4-thread-serger/9627811.html?gclid=CObDi5uVq9ACFQgzaQodKf4LiQ
--
Maggie

On 11/14/2016 11:40 PM, Muggles wrote:

A couple of years ago I went into the Sew'N'Vac to get a couple of belts for the vacuum. (Note to self: avoid sucking bootlaces into the thing that's supposed to go around) Those sewing machines certainly weren't Mom's Singer. She had a buttonhole attachment and that was as complicated as it got.
On 11/15/2016 9:08 AM, rbowman wrote:

Yeah ... I've got one of those, plus a ruffler. Now that ruffler is as cool a tool as it gets when it comes to sewing!
--
Maggie

On 11/15/2016 09:43 AM, Muggles wrote:

Er, a ruffler makes ruffles? Lot of call for those these days other than the ones that come in a bag? How about a furbelow or two? I knew a woman who made pubic hair wigs for the strippers in Boston's Combat Zone. I guess you could call them furbelows...
On 11/15/2016 9:15 PM, rbowman wrote:

HAHA!! When you raise daughters, a ruffler comes in handy!
--
Maggie

On 11/14/2016 02:22 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

Chain saws... Just stag them like a lumberjack.
On 11/13/2016 11:23 AM, Dev Null wrote:

And you'll learn to vacuum when they make riding models.
On Sun, 13 Nov 2016 08:20:14 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

For the most part, heterosexual men can barely dress themselves and look decent (unless we have a uniform) and you want us to sew our own clothes? ;-)
On Sun, 13 Nov 2016 18:12:53 +0000, Stormin' Norman

You can punch the male ticket by sewing a pocket in your pants for a gun. Like Cindy says, it is just another power tool. I was making a cover for the console on my boat.