Gfci tripping

My house is two years old. This afternoon my Gfci outlet started tripping repeatedly .while the oulet is resetting itself repeatedly,I can hold the reset button and nothing stops it,it just keeps resetting after a minute or two it will stop and reset correctly. Is there a wiring problem or as the outlet gone bad prematurely?
On 11/12/2016 07:44 PM, 4fordad wrote:

If there is nothing plugged into it and it's now wet, is it feeding a second outlet down-line. I'd check that.
Otherwise, yes it's possible that it could be defective
If a GFCI is tripping, it took some LSD. It's probably hallucinating too. Play some Led Zepplin vinyl records for it, and give it some pot and a 6 pack of beer. It will be ok in the morning..... :)
On 11/12/2016 8:44 PM, 4fordad wrote:

Could be either. Check the outlets, especially if one could have been wet and have corrosion.
On Saturday, November 12, 2016 at 8:44:04 PM UTC-5, 4fordad wrote:

Pre-warning: Kill the power to the GFCI at the source before performing the following check.
Assuming there is nothing plugged into the GFCI when it is tripping, check to see if there are downstream receptacles or fixtures connected to the load side of the GFCI. If there are, remove them and then re-apply power. If the GFCI still trips (or if there is nothing on the load side to begin with) then you most likely have a defective GFCI.
If there was something on the load side and the GFCI works fine once they are disconnected, work your way down the "stream" until you find the culprit.
On Sun, 13 Nov 2016 01:44:01 +0000, 4fordad

One of my indoor GFCIs also controls a couple of outdoor outlets. They might be wet if your setup is similar,
-dan z-

or

I would check for loose connections on the GFCI receptacle. You did not sa y where this receptacle is located, but it is possible that it can be prote cting other receptacles in the house such as the basement, garage, outdoors , etc. A problem with something plugged into any one of them could cause th e GFCI to trip.
Yes, it is possible for the GFCI to go bad.
John Grabowski http://www.MrEectrician.TV