OT: Oil Spill. There are two men...

I was wondering what country, because MJ has been dead in this country or any other country for awhile. Maybe someone is reading old news about MJ's surgery?

Reply to
Nomar

Yes, but he knows something about the oil bidness.

His daddy owns Zapata. He ran that when he and his partner, Hugh Liedke, decided their company was getting too big. Bush took the offshore partsm continuing the name Zapata Oil. Liedke took the rest. It had a funny name; I think it was called Pennzoil.

Reply to
HeyBub

Agreed (but not about the idiot part); technology is only half of the problem. The remainder, as I tried to point out, is understanding and dealing with the bureacracy and all the interlocking government agencies involved.

Reply to
HeyBub

Well, at least it IS a plan.

And it only took me 60 days to come up with it.

Reply to
HeyBub

Most recent example that came to mind...haven't been following any recent scandals :o) His name continues, now with dad accusing mom of being responsible for his death. Whooooooo care!?

Reply to
norminn

If we called the two Georges in, we'd probably be bombing Japan & Haiti over the oil spill.

Reply to
Minnie
[...]

Quoting:

===

The sheer fury of those affected by the disaster has not been adequately covered in the (corporate) media.

Time after time, local authorities have asked permission to implement practical suggestions which would have led to some instant local remediation, only to get NO REPLY or delayed or equivocal response from up the bureaucratic food chain.

Some locals are, I have read, about to take the law into their own hands, since the "authorities" aren't dealing with the situation.

Reminds me of one of the more HORRIBLE aspects of 9/11:

Over 300 firefighters were making their way up into the buildings,but never received the word to stand down, get out!!

Why?

Nobody had ever tested communications between the so-called disaster preparedness bureaucrats -- and these heroes, who died for the laziness, sloppiness, and negligence of those who should have KNOWN how to coummunicate with them!

I can't get this utter WASTE out of my mind!

Now it's 9/11 and Katrina all over again, but this time on a global scale as the oil makes its way up into the Gulf Stream. The eventual impacts on food supply and climate, not to mention the short-term misery of the workers and the destruction of habitat have yet to be widely covered in the (corporate) media.

While no-cojones Obama goes on TV to announce that he's setting up a commission to study the causes of the disaster.

Hasn't anybody informed him that the causes have been well known and widely publicized since nearly two months ago!

I had to vote for him, considering the alternative, but did not expect such a wimp. From the time he re-authorized torture and "extraordinary rendition", I gave up. Just holding on in the hope that he'll get more Supreme Court nominations. There, he can't do worse than the opposition.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I actually was pleasantly surprised that GWB's SC nominees were fairly acceptable, given his apparent complete incompetence (or was it actual malice?) in every other regard. Blind squirrel, etc.

That said, while a self-identified conservative, I do believe that we need some balance on the SCOTUS not to mention that anymore "conservative" seems to come in a package with "religious right" and "social conservative" which I'm not exactly crazy about (that's called understatement.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

"HeyBub" wrote in news:s92dncNApvNMmoHRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

My personal belief is that the remainder (or more than that) consists of waiting to see what exactly happened in the first place. Waiting will enable us to determine whether or not there's an ass that needs to get kicked.

But if you're the Preener-in-Chief, such details are of no import compared to headlines and your own ego, so...

Reply to
Tegger

Federal government DOWNSIZING? Now that's a total crock. The Federal govt today is LARGER and spending MORE money than ever before. Obama and his folks were in charge of the Dept of Interior that had control authority over offshore drilling for the last 18 months. They have had plenty of people capable of bashing corporations and telling them what to do, from GM to Wall Streeet. And they just EXPANDED government into healthcare. So, it's obvious nonsense to attribute this accident to government downsizing.

And the guy who wrote this is the same guy who thinks govt has downsized? Good grief!

Reply to
trader4

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 22:06:14 -0400, "Minnie" wrote Re Re: Oil Spill. There are two men...:

I certainly hope not Japan. U.S. politicians have not allowed a military victory against a country with more than 2 or 3 million population since 1945.

Reply to
Vinny From NYC

It's been covered ad nauseum...I'm not into blaming victims, but there are lots of people affected who had a hand in disaster. Most directly, those with knowledge of safety violations who did nothing. The guys from the rig who have been interviewed spoke about repercussions when people stopped drilling over a safety issue. There are too many cheats and liars who believe rules are always for someone else, but those who did not halt unsafe practices are guilty on some level...they chose their high-paying jobs over reporting those practices. I know what it is like to lose a job for doing the RIGHT thing, and it hurts real, real bad for a long time.

They all want BP paying the costs NOW...the locals are getting just what they asked for AGAIN. If OSHA or other rules say hazmat suits and training are needed for oil cleanup, then BP would be insane to allow otherwise. CNN has been howling because they haven't been allowed to talk to the people working on cleanup...hell, there, again...they are on BP's payroll...they aren't being paid to chat with the media.

If people vote for the guy who saves their job, they had better know how stinky it will be and who is connected.

This sure as hell isn't Obama's Katrina...Bush had at least 5 days of dire warnings about Katrina and did NOTHING. There was no way Obama could have recognized the intensity of the disaster early on...there are THOUSANDS of rigs in the GoM and this one burned and went to the bottom. Obama has hell to pay for stopping new drilling and would have hell to pay if he didn't stop new drilling and someone got a hangnail.

A lot of the economic impact from this disaster has the same root as the housing mess...folks overextend, don't have savings to get by on. I have great sympathy for all involved, but have to be realistic.

I learned something on 9/11 when someone said the firefighters were running into the fire when everyone else was running out. My dad was a firefighter and never spoke about the real dangers of his work, to protect me. He lived by the book, stood up for his men and died less well-off than some who made politically comfortable adjustments.

I'd like to do a door-to-door survey and see how many people want "small government"; they sure as hell want government to take responsibility for everything that happens, including acts of God. If folks don't want floods or oil spills, they should not live where they are 6" above sea level on a body of water loaded with oil rigs.

Reply to
norminn

The next governor of Floriduh will probably be the guy who founded a hospital corporation that bilked Medicare for billions. I'd vote for Elliot Spitzer in a NY minute before I'd vote for this creep :o) I still can't get over the fact that nobody has apparently gone after the various board members of the banks that sold horrible mortgages...they certainly had the knowledge and the duty to correct their practices.

Reply to
norminn

I'd love to see a link to a credible news organization that says this is true. Make sure it's a real one, not a 911 conspiracy BS one.

Reply to
trader4

Not only is the government getting larger, it is getting more incompetent.

Most of our presidents have had executive experience. Bush 41 was UN Ambassador and Director of Central Intelligence. Bush 43 was governor of a large state. Clinton was in public service for most of his working life.

These folks had, at heart, a valuable precept: choose the right people. The biggest problem with the current administration is they have no adult in charge. The Secretary of Homeland Security is the ex-governor of a relatively small state. The Secretary of Energy is an academic whose only brush with commercial energy is flipping on a light switch. The Interior Secretary is a former U.S. Senator who might have visited a national park. The Labor Secretary was a U.S. Congresswoman from California. And so on.

Offhand, I can think of no current appointments where qualifications were the primary factor and only a few where the qualifications are sufficient (Holder as Attorney General and Sotomayer as Supreme Court Justice).

Reply to
HeyBub

[snip]

Keyboards fixed: $15.00 (plus shipping)

Reply to
HeyBub

That could very well be because nobody wants to seriously fark with us.

Reply to
HeyBub

In article , " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net" wrote:

Nonsense. At least three search and rescue teams were activated and staged, 5 Disaster medical units were on standby and ready to deploy. Trucks with expendables, generators, workers were all up and staged nearby. This was a fairly standard response and most things were done that could be done, initially. FEMA is, always has been, and probably always will be a support agency only. That is their mission statement. That is what they are able to do legally. They are there to help, not displace the locals. The problem with Katrina was largely two fold. One is that they followed their disaster plan to the level. At the time, the Superdome was never supposed to be stocker or staffed as a shelter. It was a place solely to ride out the storm and then disperse immediately to regular shelters. Unfortunately, no emergency response planner at any level over several generations of planners had thought about what comes next if the other shelters aren't available. The other (and part of this does go to Bush) is that there was a perfect storm in that all three groups (local, state and federal) should not have been let out of the house without adult supervision. None of them did much the first couple of days but dither. Most of this at the state and local level since they still have most of the power. But there was still a synergy here. You will note that the only agency that really was able to function coherently in the first few days were the Coasties and that was largely because they could come and do things on their own authority w/o having to screw with the locals.

There was no way Obama

Part of the job description, though.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Compared to GWB and "Brownie", Obama's people are all rocket scientists, and either Clinton probably capable of understanding any issue any of them discussed. Given the choice between a PhD. in physics and a guy who ran horse shows, I'd be inclined to take the academic. If there were more academic voters, we might be better off...25% HS dropouts and

1% ex-cons.
Reply to
norminn

Rubbish....three search and rescue teams? Bush's federal agency warned clearly and loudly and persistently that this would be a Cat 5. Bush's federal agency knew the levees could not take a Cat 5. Did he expect the mayor to evacuate the city and reinforce the levess before the storm arrived?

Reply to
norminn