OT - Oh, Gimme A Brake

My daughter is home from college for Thanksgiving. She pulls in the driveway last night and says "Hi Dad!" (hug hug) "I think the car needs brakes, could you look at them this weekend?"

So while the girls are inside stuffing the bird, I'll be out in the driveway doing a 4 wheel brake job, pads and rotors. I want to start it on Turkey Day in case I run into trouble. That'll give me Friday to chase more parts if I need them. We have plans for Saturday and she has to drive back home on Sunday.

I love the holidays! (and my kids)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

At least she noticed, and told you. She is a cut above.

Reply to
taxed and spent

Butttttttt ... she gives good hugs to her daddy! Isn't that worth it?

Reply to
Muggles

Thanks! I've been drilling the "You can't just drive it, you have to know it" message in for a few years. She's pretty good at letting me know when something isn't right.

Her older sister, who actually waited a lot longer to get her license (and therefore a car) can't even put air in the tires yet. She'll get there... she's only had her license for a year and a car for a few months.

Her brakes are OK so she's just getting snow tires this weekend. Her younger sister is getting brakes and snows. Little sis drives 50+ miles each way, to/from her internship, 3 days a week. She's racking up the seat time!

Between the wheels, tires and brakes, I dropped close to $1700 this week. It's a good thing my labor is "free". Christmas came in November for those two! :-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'd offer to help, if we lived a bit closer.

Hey, you da man. The old man who knows these things. Perhaps your daughter should pull some wremches and help out?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wish all fathers and parents cared as much.

I'll write some thing nice tomorrow, when I stop hating you :)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Nice thread of a caring dad and supporting writers. Consider asking your kids to help you do that brake job or whatever the next basic job is. Not only do they learn what's going on but they learn how to do it, spend time with you, and get even a better understanding of how the car works.

Reply to
Jan Alter

Well, you could have sent her here:

Read the cute sign.

I know your pain Dad. Our 32 year old daughter decided last year to resign from her position with the Commonwealth of Taxachusetts and go to graduate school in Boston to get an advanced degree in her field. Guess who's paying the outrageous tuition, apartment rent and all her other expenses now?

No matter how long you live or how far you move your children will always find your wallet. But our kids are worth it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I was chatting with a neighbor about our "kids", who grew up together and are all adults now.

We were commiserating about some of the stuff they've gotten into over the years and I used the standard exclamation "Kids!"

His response was "Yep, it sure sounded like a good idea at the time." :-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I am just grateful they became a normal healthy human beings contributing to the society taking care of themselves.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

My 2 boys are doing fine on their own and the 2 girls are still persuing their Masters, so time will tell.

I have no doubt they'll do fine.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

LOL Now I get to say, "GRAND KIDS!"

Reply to
Muggles

I second that thought!

Reply to
Muggles

Ye. Oldest one moved out about a year ago, but he still manages to get into my wallet on a regular basis. If find it better to subsidize rather than live here though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Oh yeah...SWMBO and I are loving the whole empty nest thing.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You must have a big wallet!

Reply to