OT noise cancelling headphones

OT I have to fly to Europe and the constant roar of the engines does tire me out some**, so I had a brainstorm about getting noise cancelling headphones.
Alas they cost from 18 to 600 dollars. How to choose? Some wearers get sick from them (maybe because they suck on the eardrum), and others can't sleep with the big ones, over the ear. There are little ones, earbuds, but while they do the cancelling, they don't do much muffling.
Any first- or secnd-hand experience with these things? Any recommendations?
Someone wrote not to connect to the In Flight Entertainment because if you did, every time the seat belt light went on, there would be a seemingly amplified big BONG in one's ears, but I wanted to watch the movie while suppressing the engine noise and fall asleep watching it. What to do?
**It might make less noise if I rode over the wing or in first class,in front of the wing, but I want a view of the ground so I sit behind the wing, where I think it's loudest. ??
On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 2:29:44 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:

Bose are excellent. I've used them many times on American. American just started replacing them with Bang and Olfson, I have no experience with those. But Bose aren't cheap. I would think there are plenty of product reviews online that are going to be more productive.

Never bothered me.

I'm sure there is some difference, but good noise cancelling headphones make a huge difference.

    Just buy a cheap mp3 player, load it with your favorite "calm" music and adjust the volume to muffle out the external noise. That and the eye whatsits and I usually fall asleep. Views don't interest me much, I've flown too often, and you only really get to see anything "different" when you are coming in to land/taking off.     How long is the flight ?     []'s

--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
On 12/31/2018 2:29 PM, micky wrote:

I minimize taking expensive anything with me when I travel (I won't travel without my camera and my tablet but that's it). I am very sensitive to noise (usually wear ear plug in the movies, and commonly in any noisy place (subways, loud restaurants, etc.) so I too was bothered by aircraft noise. I figured I'd start with a relatively inexpensive noise-cancelling headphone and if adequate, stick with it. If not, I'd get something better but still not very expensive. I'm still using the first one I bought about 3 yrs ago and when my wife tried it the first time we flew after I got my set, she said she wanted one too when we got home. We have the original Monoprice over-the-ear model, which is still available and now sells for 1/2 the price I paid several years ago. It's model 10010 and sells for $50 with free shipping. We get about 20-35 hrs of noise reduction function on 1 AAA alkaline battery. Headband is adjustable for heads of many sizes. Comes with rigid, protective cases, cable for connecting most input sources and a cable compatible with Apple phones and tablets. Also has an adapter for airplane systems that require 2 parallel pins to plug into the jack on the seat arm rest. Never have had any problems with durability of any component and I've probably carried it with me and worn it on at least a dozen trips. If you look at that item's listing on the monoprice web site, you'll see that there are almost 350 user reviews and the average review gives it 4 out of 5 stars. For us, they've made a tremendous difference when we fly. Do they eliminate all engine noise? No. But instead of a loud throbbing drone, we hear a soft dull background hum, easily masked by any podcast, movie sound track, or music you might choose to listen to. The noise cancellation works; the difference is dramatic when we continue wearing them but turn off the noise cancellation or when the battery dies. We even use them with no input cord when we want to read, do crossword puzzles, etc. while flying.

I have used several relatively low cost active noise cancelling headphones with good results plugged into the aircraft entertainment system. IIRC mine cost me about $35 per set. The ones with a head band workbetter than the neck-band ones for aircraft travel, and I have not foundany appreciable difference in noise levels from one part of the plane to another, but have not flown first class.
cried out in envy in its irritating high pitched voice:

    OK, I'll translate for people that can't understand Bouffantese     "I'm too fat to fly. I envy you"     We know, Bouffant.     HTH     []'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
On 12/31/18 2:29 PM, micky wrote:

If you're half way across the Atlantic and the engine noise stops, you'll wish it would start again.