OT: N-acetylcarnosine and Cataracts

The "actual" scientific studies on N-acetylcarnosine and Cataracts:

Efficacy of N-acetylcarnosine in the treatment of cataracts

Participants: 49 subjects (76 affected eyes) with an average age of 65.3 +/- 7.0 years with a diagnosis of senile cataract with minimum to advanced opacification in various lens layers.

Results: The overall intra-reader reproducibility of cataract measurements (image analysis) was 0.830, and glare testing 0.998. After 6 months, 90% of NAC-treated eyes showed improvement in best corrected visual acuity (7 to 100%) and 88.9% showed a 27 to 100% improvement in glare sensitivity. Topographic studies indicated fewer areas of posterior subcapsular lens opacity and 41.5% of treated eyes had improvement in image analysis characteristics. The overall ratios of image analysis characteristics at 6 months compared with baseline measures were 1.04 and 0.86 for the control and NAC-treated group, respectively (p < 0.001). The apparent benefits of treatment were sustained after 24 months' treatment. No treated eyes demonstrated worsening of vision. The overall visual outcome in the control group showed significant worsening after 24 months in comparison with both baseline and the 6-month follow-up examination. The overall clinical results observed in the NAC-treated group by the 24-month period of examination differed significantly (p < 0.001) from the control group in the eyes with cortical, posterior subcapsular, nuclear or combined lens opacities. Tolerability of NAC eyedrops was good in almost all patients, with no reports of ocular or systemic adverse effects.

And these guys cherry picked to say it ain't so (I suspect industry funding):

N-acetylcarnosine (NAC) drops for age-related cataract

Authors' conclusions: There is currently no convincing evidence that NAC reverses cataract, nor prevents progression of cataract

T wrote on 2/10/2024 4:07 PM:

Have you tried this, or do you personally know somebody who have tried this?

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Yes, I actually do. "Supposedly" my cataracts are extremely minimal and hard to see with instruments for my age. They make have gotten better, but it is hard tell when you are being up sold. My new eye doctor is a curmudgeon with zero up sell. When I told him about being told I had cataracts forming, he whipped out an instrument and bingo. You should have seen the disgust on his face.

Currently, I use Life Extension's Brite Eyes III, but\ they are now out of stock (I bough extras) due to manufacturing problems.

There is something on Amazon.ca when I put "N-Acetyl-Carnosine Eye Drops" into the search box. Ortho Eyes and Bright Eyes. Ortho Eyes is from a Canadian company, and thus a lot cheaper than Bright Eyes. I will order one and give it a try.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

It could up to six months:

"Main outcome measures: All patients were evaluated at entry and followed up every 2 months for a 6-month period (trial 1), or at 6-month intervals for a 2-year period (trial 2), for best-corrected visual acuity and glare testing. "

I will post again when I notice improvement in glare reduction. Thanks.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

It beats 6000 U$D, plus for surgery with out the side effects.