OT Mountain lion killed in Conn. had walked from S. Dakota

<

DNA tests show that a 140-pound mountain lion killed last month on a Connecticut highway had walked more than 1,500 miles east from the Black Hills of South Dakota., state officials said today.

The epic journey was the longest ever recorded for a mountain lion.

Reply to
Robert Green

How do DNA tests show it got there by walking as opposed to somebody dumped it....(just saying it doesn't necessarily follow... :) )

--

Reply to
dpb

Hi, Wonder why they killed it?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Duh.

Reply to
Frank

Just curious, how did a DNA test determine that it came from SD?

Don

Reply to
IGot2P

On 7/29/2011 12:25 PM, IGot2P wrote: ...

How does a human DNA test determine kin relationships???

--

Reply to
dpb

They obviously did the DNA tests on the dirt in its paws

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Expert animal trackers can recognize cougar poop when they see it, and DNA analysts can (sometimes) identify the individual source. So many US states nowadays want to say they have cougars that wildlife officers collect samples of any likely poop they come across: and the DNA laboratories do the rest, viz. track one individual who left deposits in several states.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

An example of what how he doody show....

Reply to
notbob

On 7/29/2011 1:47 PM, Bob F wrote: ...

For real? Kewl, if so...

(If that information is in the article, unfortunately, that loaded so slowly that w/ my dialup connection I gave it up so haven't seen it...)

--

Reply to
dpb

It's the Connecticut way.

Reply to
HeyBub

WW

On 7/29/2011 4:18 PM, WW wrote: ...

Well, after waiting several minutes and it still hadn't loaded, I gave up...(as noted earlier, I'm limited to dialup owing to location, location, location...)

Reply to
dpb

Hey, I'm on dialup. Loaded fast enough for me! (-: What are you running at? 2400BPS?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

"a company called PooPrints on getting cheek swabs from dogs and comparing marble-sized bits of orphaned poop to the samples on file. It's not a cheap process, but the costs in cases like this are usually passed on to the residents. Guilty poopetrators can get big fines, and may be threatened with eviction or dog confiscation if they don't pay the fine."

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I recall a NOVA episode about an male Indian tiger traveling an enormous distance to find a mate (but finding death as well as this cougar). Still, I agree with you. I can't see how, without a radio collar, they can prove that this cat didn't crawl into an open boxcar or was somehow otherwise transported that distance by humans or mechanisms unknown.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Tony Hwang wrote the following:

They didn't. It got hit by a car.

Reply to
willshak

Starting too?

His ignorance is running like a tap that needs a new washer (just to bring this on topic for the group)

Reply to
PV

On 7/29/2011 4:53 PM, Robert Green wrote: ...

Sometimes.... :(

All depends on how noisy lines are at any given time. We're (very) rural; they're not great at any time and they're doing some work at a switching/junction point in town and depending on what's going on there at any given time it may be as low as 6-8k negotiated but w/ the correction/error rate effective may be that poor...good can sometimes reach near 33.6 but rarely much over 28.8... :(

--

Reply to
dpb

It was a UFO, "Hey Glerp, where did you get this creature?" "Um, I know it came from this land mass" "Hell, let's drop it off anywhere, as long as it's the same area it should find its way home." "Did you do the anal probe?" "Yea but it wasn't too happy about it." "Uh, OK, that place over there looks alright." "Turn on the blinking lights and sound effects, let's land."

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas