OT: "Mixed up the brake and accelerator"?!?

You ought to try parking in Rome - - - A good reason to drive a Fiat, or a Smart, or any other of the little "pisskutters" you see over there. I don't think I ever saw more than about 6 inches clearance between parked cars - even on the hills.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I left my Mini parked in gear with the hand brake on - and locked. Came back and found it a quarter mile away in the middle of a bush - 8 guys just picked it up and carried it away - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

In both cases the parking brake was mechanical and functioned. The Chevy had a standard transmission so reverse would have meant repairing the transmission as well as the master cylinder. Downshifting and using the engine compression plus a little handbrake for the complete stops got me home. The Lincoln had an AT but fortunately there was a slight grade going up to the company parking lot which scrubbed off most of the speed and the handbrake took care of the rest.

Coming down the mountain with just the rear brakes on a F150 was a good lesson on how much of the work is done by the front brakes particularly when the fronts were disk and the rear drums.

Reply to
rbowman

I was riding with a friend in a restored Model A when he went down a steep hill (Troy NY has quite a few of those) I looked over and he was rigid with his butt mostly off the seat trying to keep it under control with the mechanical brakes.

If I ever did a restoration I wouldn't be that much of a purist and the thing would have hydraulics.

Reply to
rbowman

My Yaris has a real hand brake. The F150 has a foot operated one but it's also a standard transmission so I rarely use it. I'm also hesitant to use mechanical parking brakes in the winter.

Trailers, as in tractor trailer, have a failsafe setup so the brakes are applied when the air is off. I've spent some pleasant moments laying under the trailer with a 5 lb hammer beating on the drums trying to get the things to break loose when they froze up in the winter.

Reply to
rbowman

Oh, sweet Jesus... Never have been to Montana, have you? I'll admit the eastern part is flat, but I don't live there.

True you can't drive to the top. You park at 6200' and start walking. Tell me about Ben Nevis again?

Reply to
rbowman

Even where I grew up back east had a mountain or two... No, I never did the 46, just Marcy, Giant, Tabletop, and a couple of others.

Reply to
rbowman

My back porch is as high as that lil' thing and the mountains around the valley range from 5000 to 8000'. This is one of the cute little ones:

This one hardly qualifies as a mountain but it's a nice walk when I'm feeling lazy:

This is actually the short part of the range. They get higher as you go up the Bitterroot

That's even a dwarf compared to the highest point in the state:

I've never been up that one. A friend who is on a search and rescue team said he's done it twice, once without a rope and once with, and would never do it again without a rope. That leaves me out. I get nervous when people start talking about pitons, belays, karabiners, and stuff.

Reply to
rbowman

30 lb propane cyl and a rosebud were standard accessory for the kid brother.
Reply to
Clare Snyder

I could have used one. I did have a come-along that I used one 20 below night to pull the fifth wheel pin. I couldn't budge the thing by hand but could back in next to another trailer to use as an anchor point.

Trucking in the winter sucked.

Reply to
rbowman

You want to try the Manitoba Ice Road - - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

No thanks. I'm not much on reality shows in general and three episodes of 'Ice Road Truckers' was enough. North Dakota is as close as I want to come.

Reply to
rbowman

I bet I have travelled more in te USA than you have

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes. I have been to Montana. And Utah and Nevada and New Mexico and Massachusetts and Virginia and Iowa and Ohio and Washington and New York and.......a lot of other places.

I've driven over the Sierra Nevada at 10,000 ft too.

But Whilst there what I didn't see were traffic lights on steep slopes,. In fact the high and steep places are not populated at all.

You need a mulholland drive or laurel canyon for THAT. And Id fer sure be using a left foot brake on those.

I'll admit the

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its a standard mistake for Americans to think that other people are as ignorant about America as they are ignorant of the rest of the world.

I travelled coast to coast in 1974. I probably know it better than you do.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So you'll have seen all of it then? In the same way as a tourist does the UK in a couple of weeks?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

When you make a statement about the country being big and flat, perhaps you might want to throw in an emoji or you sound merely ignorant.

My parents were driving but I traveled coast to coast for the first time in 1952.

I don't think I've been to Argentina but some of those little towns aren't too memorable. As far as Canada goes, I've been from Prince Rupert to the end of the Gaspe peninsula. So you made one little trip in '74? You haven't even started.

Reply to
rbowman

No. I have made many trips since then MOST of the densely populated areas are flat.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm 100% sure that I drive considerably faster than you. Unless there are people in the way, the car is maxed out, the engine is hitting the red line, or the tyres are squealing.

I've owned about 15 cars and drive many more belonging to others. Maybe I'm just not so fussy about pedal positions?

The clutch does not wear out by being held in the disengaged mode. It wears out by slipping it. I don't slip it, I hold the car on the footbrake. I've only had one clutch replaced in my entire life, and it was already f***ed when I bought the car, it would actually slip when the pedal was fully released and trying to take off slowly in 1st. I had to take off in 2nd to stop it doing so. That car (a Rover) had done 35K when I bought it with the busted clutch. The replacement clutch lasted for 100K when driven by me and was still operating perfectly when I collided at 80mph with a tractor.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Funny thing about that... People tend to build cities on flat ground unless there are in LA, San Francisco, Seattle, or some other place where there were other considerations.

Conversely, going by square miles, most of the flat area is sparsely populated.

Reply to
rbowman