OT Medicare ADVANTAGE plans

I laugh at this commercial and think a satire should be made showing Mom sitting on a rocking chair in a cluttered, dirty basement.

My neighbor said he was putting out $12,000 a month for his mom's assisted living. I could not believe him but googled it up: "According to data published by Medicare, the median cost of nursing home facilities in Delaware is $107,310 per year, with costs typically ranging from $6,450 to $9,330 monthly." Maybe he used "A Place for Mom" but even so ,Holy Smoke!

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I've seen similar over the years. Best deals are with the guy that does good work and is recommended by your neighbor. The really good ones have all the work they can handle without advertising.

At work I had a few guys I used for years, a plumber, electrician, HVAC, that did what our employees could not do. Pay them promptly and when you have a problem, they will be there quickly.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My experience too. Last year it was a new roof and I used a roofer I knew that did good work and only requested his bid which appeared to be low. You won't find him on places like Home Advisor or Angies List as he does not pay for ads. When I looked at Home Advisor I did not see anyone that I knew was a good roofer in the area.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I remember I used to think Joan Lunden was hot back during the Nixon administration. Other than that I don't know much about her.

Reply to
gfretwell

No accounting for taste I spose.

Reply to
Rod Speed

She was cute when she was 25 and there were not that many women doing that kind of TV then. I didn't confuse her with Raquel Welch or anything but she looked good on morning TV.

Reply to
gfretwell

Bullshit she was. Just another media bimbo.

That's bullshit too.

? I didn't confuse her with Raquel Welch or

Nope,, just another media bimbo.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Aren't they all?

Reply to
gfretwell

A friend of mine ran her uncle's business and that's exactly what he said. I think he paid them the same day they did the work .

Reply to
micky

Some arent quite so brainless.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I called the plumber once and he was not sure when he could make it. His wife takes care of his billing and she sent him the next morning. The job he was on did not pay as well as we did.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That is simply fraud and medicare has it's share of that in the government managed plans too. (roughly 18% of all claims according to some estimates) It is so bad they have a name for it "Pay and chase". Medicare pays claims first and investigates them later. Miami is a hot bed for this fraud and the crooks know that by the time they can actually find the fraud, the crook can change the name of his business and move it down the block a ways. At least, if it is UHC or Blue Cross doing it, they are around when Medicare finally catches up to them.

Reply to
gfretwell

FWIW, my friend's business was a ministorage, 400 lockers iirc, so they rarely needed highly skilled labor. Usual problems were fixing a leaky roof, cleaning out a vacated locker, and maybe cleaning up trash left outside of the the dumpster, either by tenants moving out or people who had no relationship with them but dropped trash off there (they had no fence).

Once in a great while there was an electrical problem.

But it was the same as for you. These guys did good work and had many clients but they came to my friend that day or the next because they knew they'd be paid, probably the same day.

Reply to
micky

Oh. I've heard of her and the text of that ad seems familiar, but I guess it just wasn't as common while I was watching.

FWIW I'm tired of the overuse of Mom and the disuse of mother.

Reply to
micky

In snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com micky snipped-for-privacy@rushpost.com writes: [snip]

I can't recall whether this was always the case or whether I was just paying better attention, but the latest iteration of the advert I saw, while still calling it "A place for mom", had Ms. Lunden voicing "mom or dad" in her description.

Reply to
danny burstein