OT Medicare ADVANTAGE plans

I thought I'd point out that the commericials over the last month for Medicare Supplemental were afaict only for Medicare ADVANTAGE plans

Mostly UHC, a couple for Johns Hopkins, and one for Humana.

I saw none for non-Advantage.

Reply to
micky

The advantage plans are free enterprise The regular part C (gap plan) and Part D plans are mandated by the government and I don't think there is really much to compete over. Advantage plans take that Medicare money (A&B) and administer it themselves. So far I have been real happy with my AARP/UHC plan (7-8 years in) but it really depends on which doctors want to play where you live. Around here it is pretty much anyone who does Medicare in the first place. I pay zero a month, get a drug plan and my max out of pocket if the shit did hit the fan is $6500. The co pays are nothing like what my monthly cost for the Cadillac Plan F would be. (no co pay and virtually everything covered but you pay them around $4000 a year). UHC is actually lowering some co pays next year. Such a deal.

Reply to
gfretwell

So it sounds like if you are healthy and don't have many doctor visits, this is a better option.

When they say you may pay zero a month, it has sounded to me like it's some poverty program like with they started with cell phones 15 years ago, but I don't think that applies to you, so I must be wrong. But I think it still must sound like that to a lot of people.

BTW, and also to you Bob, I was only commenting, not looking to change, but I also am pretty healthy (except for the urinary thing that cost iirc $12,000 Would my max really be something like 6500?

This was my second reaming. The first was a Green Light laserand supposed to last me the rest of my life, but it lasted only 3 or 4 years. This one was a different procedure and after I signed up for it, while I'm scheduled for the procedure 20 mintues from now, I finally ask and it's only good for 5 or 10 years. So I'll need it again when I'm

78!! and again at 84? And 90? Terrible idea. But it's actually only been 11 months and it already seems to be failing, maybe.

Anyhow, I've only got 2 days to change and I never act that fast.

Reply to
micky

Commercials? I never watch or listen to them. If I want information I go and get it.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

The more I hear something advertised I feel is more advantage to them than to me.

Wife thinks the Advantage plans limit your options with doctor choice and while cheaper are not as good.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

It may sound like that, but that's not the case. I too pay zero for Medicare supplemental. So far, all doctor visits and prescriptions are zero. I'm about as far from a poverty case as you can imagine.

What happens is that AARP/UHC takes over plan administration from Medicare. So Medicare gives them some amount that I'm not aware of. Somehow, they do administration cheaper than Medicare does and that difference is how they make their profit.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Lots of SS recipients here. About 60% of all commercials this time of year are for Medicare plans. The other 40% are ambulance chasing lawyers and dentists to replace your teeth.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Let's not forget stairlifts, motorized scooters (wheelchairs), and, of course, whasername, the former reporter, with her nursing home referral line...

Reply to
danny burstein

I pay $250 a month for a Plan F supplement so that is $3000 a year. Best case, you save that 3k, worst case, you double it.

I'm on the fence. For me I'd probably come out ahead. With my wife over the years, I save as she would have hit the maximum payout at least

8 of the last 10 years. It is a bit of a crap shoot for many of us though.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'm not looking for information but the commercials come anyhow. One probalby has to play 5 times before I notice what it's for.

Exactly. That's what I was thinking.

Ah, lack of choice, yeah that was a reason I decided against it, not that the ones they offer are bad.

Reply to
micky

What a shame that is, because Usenet is the best online format there is and it's fading away.

I get all the others but I don't remember her at all. Maybe just on cable?

Reply to
micky

Ah, that accounts for how they make money.

What about those other things they mention, rides to the doctor esp.** Are they only free after I'm paid the the first 6000 dollars? Or are they a loss leader?

**I don't need a ride to the doctor except when they've given me anesthesia I need a ride home. I've been through all my friends once and paid services are about 150 dollars iirc.

I can see that. It's bound to be that way, because competition does keep their rates down somewhat, but they all have to make a profit, so the rates are that much over what it costs them.

Reply to
micky

I assume there is some underwriting going on but what they are saying is a privately managed plan can take what Medicare gives them for part A&B and provide C&D for the same price. The $6500 is supposed to be the most you ever pay in one year out of pocket the way I understand it. I have never even gotten close. My out of pocket in any given year ends up being a few hundred. It isn't even a month of Plan F, before I bought a drug plan.

You have prostate problems my man. What is your PSA? Wait until they stick the electric porcupine up your ass. That's fun. "You are going to feel a little prick".

Reply to
gfretwell

What plan are you on. Nobody ever offered me a no monthly fee plan C&D except an advantage plan.

Reply to
gfretwell

I haven't seen that here. UHC has contracts with the two big conglomerates that dominate the market here so the plan is accepted by pretty much any doctor who takes medicare patients. Of course that might not be true somewhere that doesn't have half of the population on medicare.

Reply to
gfretwell

I will try to get my wife on whatever plan F becomes when she gets MC but F is going away.

Reply to
gfretwell

You can stay on Plan F. It only goes away for new enrollees. Plan G is next best. It only adds the $185 (in 2019, $198 in 2020) Part B deductible to out of pocket expenses, compared to Plan F.

Reply to
Anonymous
[snip]

"whasername" turns out to be Joan Lunden, formerly of the NBC Blue Network program, Good Morning America

typical advert:

danny burstein

Actually, Plan G is a better deal from what I saw. You pay and extra

185 in deductibles up fron but save 485 in premiums. My company does not offer it here though. .
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

When I wrote here about getting a new Trex deck a couple of years ago, the highest bid was from the guy that probably spent $1,000 a week in advertising. His bid was 50% higher than the one I accepted. It was not even my lowest bid which was about $200 less.

Reply to
invalid unparseable