OT. Medicare ?

Yeah, each of you would have to shoot 7 of them.

Isn't age 50 their lower limit?

Reply to
micky

And I even read of people who take new mortgages when in the 60's or more. Maybe because a kid needs money.

OT On Fridays at 9:25 of all times, on some NPR stations, there is a show, How I Built That, with Guy Roz (sp?). A very interesting show if you're interested in how famous businesses got started (though some aren't famous enough for me to have heard of them.) and tonight it was about Stoneybrook Yogurt. The CEO was interviewd and for months or years he never had enough money to meet payroll and he would call his mother-in-law the night before and borrow 10 or 20 thousand dollars. Which he said she could not really spare. One time he heard clickign on the phone and it was his wife calling her mother and the clicking was call-waiting and she was calling to say not to lend him any money. The intereviewer asked "So she did not have faith in you" and he said, "No, or course not. We were all srrewed up and couldn't pay our bills. She'd be a fool to have faith in us." But the m-i-l insisted she was a grown woman and coudl decide for herself.

And before that when he got started, he borrowed what, 50,000 dollars from her.

The mil ended up makeing a lot of money off of the yogurt and it was worth it. This is off topic because I don't think she had to remortgage her home. The boy was about 30 and so the mil was 50 something problaby.

He said commercial investors liked it when borrowers borrowed from F&F first, friends and family, becausae some people will walk away from a bank debt without worrying about it, but if they owe their friends or family they'll work hard to make a success and pay it off.

Reply to
micky

You feed skunnks 50cent cat food? Do they reciprocate by not spraying you?

1
Reply to
micky

Yes but the census chart I looked at did not break at 50.

It still would boggle the imagination if anyone under 65 actually sent them any money since they basically sell medigap insurance. I know I threw their junk mail in the trash when I got it at 50. As others have pointed out their "discount" is basically the same thing you get from AAA or NRA. You can beat them all if you just shop a bit.

Reply to
gfretwell

If you'll be naked, why do you have to pack?

I used to run an outdoors club, nostly hiking but a little of everything else, other than most sports.

I would look on the map for an area without any streets or roads and figure it was farmland or, esp. if near a river, woods, but in this case I read in the newspaper that a public mental hospital was going to offer for sale more than half its land, that it was clear it would never use.

100's of acres of forest.

So I took a convoy of cars down there. We parked along the road and while I was coaching them to say that we were a group of investors considering buying the land, or at least not contradict me when I said that, a guy came by and wanted to know what we were doing. I didnt' know who he was. It wasn't clear that the state land was really open to the public, and there were No Trespassing signs about 300 feet behind us, but the signs were old and now they were going to sell it for housing and I figured we had a right to explore it before they ruined it. So I was evasive iirc.

Eventually the guy said that there was a nudist colony there and he wanted to make sure we weren't planning to go watch it. Foolish guy, I knew nothing about the nudist colony. Today's hike was announced already, but I scheduled my next hike to go watch it. Well, just kidding, but I did go home and look on the net and it was there alright. Never would have known about it if it weren't for him.

I can't remember what he said about free love.

Hey, when I went to look it up again, the third hit was, from 6 years ago, years after I was there: Lawsuit Alleges Maryland Nudist Camp Promotes 'Swingers ...

" She, a member for 10 years, said she swims and hikes without clothes, but lately, other club members are reporting people having sex along the walking paths and in the swimming pool.

"I am not a swinger and I don't care what goes on behind closed doors," she told ABCNews.com. "But they should keep that in the bedroom."

When she spoke up about her concerns, she said the club dropped her membership, banned her from the grounds and locked her out of her cabin, labeling her an attention-seeking "troublemaker."

Now, a judge will have to get to the naked truth about this heated affair.

Holmes is fighting back against the club's board of directors with a lawsuit...."

Somene else said: "It used to be sexuality and nudity were two totally different things. "

It sounded to me like she had a good case but it seems she lost. Searching on her name I find:

"After five months in which she barricaded herself in a cabin, her standoff with the Maryland Health Society has ended.

On Thursday, the Anne Arundel County Circuit Court ruled she had to leave the Davidsonville nudist resort immediately - with clothing optional.

According to electronic court records, Judge Alison L. Asti ruled her in violation of the 46-year rental agreement she signed with the resort, mainly because she antagonized other patrons.

"[She] is prohibited by law from entering upon the property of Maryland Health Society Inc. and Cabin No. 13," the ruling said.

The judge granted her a counterclaim allowing her to retrieve her property as long as both parties arranged for a time.

So on Saturday, she returned to her cabin and officially moved out. She had a four-hour window to retrieve her belongings. Anything she left would be considered property of the Maryland Health Society.

She said when she went to the cabin, she found it bolted shut. Standing in the rain, she said she hired two movers to help her transport everything.

For now, she is staying with friends in Virginia. She isn't sure what she is going to do with her cat Midnight.

"I"m running out of money," she said. "I hope she will be adopted into a good home."

Since August she occupied in the cabin, using a wood stove to keep warm. Prohibited from using the amenities of the resort, she would leave by sneaking out through the woods. [Maybe there is no fence and my club could sneak in to take pictures!!!!]

She said she barricaded herself in her cabin to draw attention to the "swinger" lifestyle she claims exists on the property. She also wanted money for upgrades she made to her cabin.

In June, an Anne Arundel County judge denied her request for a temporary restraining order and $1 million in compensation from the society, which opened the facility in 1934.

The resort, in its response to her lawsuit, described her as an "unstable and disgruntled"

They never did sell the land iiuc. Maybe coudn't find a buyer. I should check it out, both sides of the road.

Reply to
micky

How about near Baltimore?

Reply to
micky

Cats will eat our generic store brand. When we find one in the trap, my husband urinates on it and lets it go. They're somebody's house pet, not ferals.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

After they inhale the car exhaust, they're pretty mellow.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

What Repubs need to do is phase Medicare out, along with Social Security. It's way past time to end both the New Deal and the Great Society. All they are is armed robbery on a grand scale and absent an abberant Supreme Court they would have never passed Constitutional muster.

While libs are focused on Roe V. Wade, the Supreme Court decision we really need to go after and have reversed is Helvering v. Davis. Drive a stake deep into the black, pustulent heart of the Welfare State.

Reply to
Roger Blake

We know of a place in StL from a poster on another group. Shared living.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes but there are others online too. You could sit through one of their classes at a senior center and get certified. My wife does that but times were not convenient for me.

Online you have to interact with it and it takes a few hours. You can stop whenever you want and resume when it is convenient. Since you have to interact with it to proceed you will learn a lot of things whereas if you just sit through the class you can fall asleep or not pay attention.

It will get you about 15% off your car insurance and points with the state in case you have an offense. You have to repeat it every few years. I'll do it when the weather is bad and I'm stuck in the house.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Condoms, sun screen and blow.

Reply to
gfretwell

Most people around here know enough to keep pet cats inside.

Reply to
gfretwell

Once the kids get smart enough to vote their own interest, they might. This is a huge transfer of wealth from the young to the old. As long as there were lots of baby boomers in the work place and old people died fairly young, the system worked. Now we are rapidly approaching a time when it will be 2 workers per recipient and the recipient is actually richer than most of the workers shoveling money at them.

Reply to
gfretwell

I have to wonder what it will be like 50 years from now. If the greenies want to save the earth they will have less kids, thus less contributors.

There has been more movements to encourage younger people to vote. In the past, young voters tended to be more liberal but later, with some real world experience became more conservative. It is changing in recent years

Ed Pawlowski

Are you familiar with the concept of intersection in set theory? Judging from my trips to the range AARP members may be heavily armed.

Reply to
rbowman

Expect PETA on your doorstep after I dox you... A couple of years ago I was cutting through the woods and came to a little creek, maybe two feet wide. Just as I started to step across it I noticed my foot was going to land on a skunk. I froze and was wery wery quiet until the skunk wandered off. Thanks the Gods for mellow skunks.

Reply to
rbowman

If they actually did screw the old farts we might see a whole new kind of criminal. Old well armed geezers who have no real interest in being taken alive. Even if caught, what is a life sentence?

5- 10 years and I am not sure prison would be much different than a publicly funded nursing home.
Reply to
gfretwell

in prison you get a gym and you can take free college courses , you don't have to pay for meds and rent is free so is food

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Blaze of glory or being abused by a minimum wage Honduran keeper in a nursing home? Let me think about it and get back to you. I'm leaning towards the einherjar route.

Reply to
rbowman