OT. Medicare ?

Would she consider moving to St, Louis? I am.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Perhaps but probably still not the best overall financial alternative. The discounted rate one gets isn't great return from ROI perspective and if the house is not in good repair it'll be discounted even further. Plus, it's a forever decision.

Philanthropy here is in terms of the estate, not current.

--

Reply to
dpb

For vacations, I can see that. For other things it may be the way to go. If an emergency comes up , say your roof starts leaking and you need some money, it is better to get the home loan at a lower rate than the 20 plus percent other loans charge. I have not had to do it in a while,but is the home loan interist still tac deductiable ?

About 20 years ago I took a big gamble. A local savings and loan company was about to go public. By having some money in it, I could buy their stock before it hit the general market. I was told by a good advisor to get some of it as they usually go way up in a short period of time. I borrowed $ 25,000 on the home loan to buy the stock. About a month later the stock went up about 25 % so I sold off about $ 5000 work and put it in the bank. I used that money to pay back the loan each month. After about a year the stock had doubled , so I sold it all off. So I think I was ahead over $ 20,000 just by getting a big loan on the house.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

You haven't priced cat food lately, have you :) It wasn't my cat but I got friendly with one of the neighborhood cats and would slip him a snack when he came by. For the price of Fancy Feast I could have fed him the CostCo tuna I eat.

The US pet industry rakes in $72 billion a year. The German defense budget is 42 billion Euros, and a Euro is down to $1.09. That was a pleasant surprise. I use the University of Berlin news server and it's

10 Euros a year. That used to be a little over $15.
Reply to
rbowman

Don't believe what you see on the cover of the AARP rag. Do you really want to be surrounded by naked 70 year old women?

Reply to
rbowman

There are some inexpensive properties in East St. Louis...

Reply to
rbowman

Pet food is the biggest scam around. I stopped buying dog treats. These days I just give my Lab a golf ball sized piece of pork shoulder (1.99 a pound). It is a whole lot cheaper than any kind of dog treat I would give him and a lot more healthy.

Reply to
gfretwell

I think the generic cat food at my grocery store is 50 cents a can. It would provide sufficient protein for a meal.

Of course, 50 cents worth of beans would be much more palatable.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

On 9/25/2019 6:50 AM, Frank wrote: ...

Glad to hear you're up and around...the "keepin' movin'" is key as you well know.

That puts you a few years ahead of me...but who's counting? :)

Reply to
dpb

That's certainly debatable in general; there is a wide range pet foods available for sale. Like anything in modern retail there's good, bad and overpriced crap. COSTCO sells quality dogfood at reasonable prices.

I get grain-free treats for $1.20/lb in bulk at the pet store. Far cheaper than the grocery store boxes of milk bone.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

That's for sure. Even the cats gave the 50 cent food a one star rating.

Reply to
rbowman

The raccoons and skunks seem to like it well enough when we use it for bait.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I know a couple of guys 90 years old, still driving and exercising. Both are widowers with girlfriends.

I also know people a lot younger that are decrepit. Guess its mostly genes and good living.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Bullheads would probably like it too if you could keep it on the hook. Of course you can always punch some holes in the can and use it for chum.

Reply to
rbowman

If Publix brand is any indication possums may eat it bit cats won't. I tried to trap some feral cats and they wouldn't touch it but I caught a few possums. One just decided the trap was a good place to live. I had to forcefully evict him. I gave up on the trapping idea. Then a bobcat came along and ate the cats.

Reply to
gfretwell

The coyotes have the animal control franchise around here. I think a possum would succumb to frostbite.

Reply to
rbowman

Possums do OK up north.

Reply to
gfretwell

Get it started quickly. Repubs have cut funding so much that that staffing in inadequate, so delays are common.

I went with a Medigap plan, which covers the gaps in everything Medicare covers, so no out-of-pocket on any covered services. Then you buy your own drug plan. If you don't do that at the beginning, it will cost more later. If you don't need much, there are plans for less than $20/month to be in that system. If you need more later, you can change plans at the end of each year.

Reply to
Bob F

It's online! GEICO said I coudl save money if I took a def drving course, and I was thinking about it, when I thought I'd have to go there, wherever there is. For sure if they use an online one. (I go to my desk every day.)

Reply to
micky

Even on the ones that relate to old people, I don't know that I agree with them. For one thing, I haven't got the time to keep track of wheher they stand.

So it's just the choice of words I'm disagreeing with I guess. I wouldn't call it a scam unless they tricked me into thinking they would lobby different from how they do.

Yes.

BTW, DPB says 16/year, but I'm sure I paid less than that, 7 years ago. Maybe they mailed me a renewal letter and I didn't open it. I wish everyone I deal with would just email me. (not that I will renew but that I want to know what I'm not doing, and what it woudl cost.)

Reply to
micky