OT...Mechanics Insurance

How do I insure my tools that are left at my place of employment? I have over 20k of property. If someone breaks in, I would like it covered. My homeowners policy says my personal stuff is covered anywhere, but only if it is used for personal use. If it is used for business/employment, it is not covered.

Any advice appreciated Pat

Reply to
komobu

ask agent, for rider to cover your tools.

ask employeer if a existing policy of theirs covers it

Reply to
hallerb

Or, if you are an employed handyman, eligible for "Business Owner's Policy" or BOP. Like homeowners comprehensive ins for business owners. You will pay about 1k a year, tho...

ask agent, for rider to cover your tools.

ask employeer if a existing policy of theirs covers it

Reply to
ng_reader

buffalo ny: here in real estate another person cannot insure your property. for example your landlord cannot insure your apartment possessions or clothing against loss or damage by fire. but insurance varies by state, and by which company may offer what product. it is not likely that your employer has an insurable interest in your tools. you may not like the business insurance premiums but might save by shopping around to companies where you are already doing business, also consider a high deductible. don't forget to go bid at the next police auction if your tools are stolen, because if they were recovered you might be the only person who recognizes them as yours.

Reply to
buffalobill