OT: keeping weeping willow in pot?

I just bought a weeping willow tree online that will arrive in a pot. I don't really want to plant this in the ground for a year or two and I'd like to keep it in pots. 1) Is this possible and what size pots should I use, along with soil and 2) Winter is fast approaching and frost/ freeze will soon happen, will the tree be affected in the outdoor pot on the back patio? Thanks.

Reply to
JBI

As I recall, a WW will not grow well in a pot. Their root system is crazy and the tree grows extremely fast. They also require a great deal of water on a daily basis until mature.

Do a Google search. You'll find more info.

Reply to
Meanie

Dig a hole the size of the pot. Put plant and pot in hole. Fill in around edges of pot. Leave an inch or so of pot rim exposed.

Putting the pot in the ground protects the plant from freezing.

Reply to
Dan Espen

How? The frost line even in Nebraska can go down anywhere from

30 to 60".
Reply to
Dean Hoffman

If the willow will survive in the ground, it will survive buried in a pot that is in the ground.

Reply to
Dan Espen