electronic thermostat - check those batteries

Hi All ; just a heads up - learn from my mistake. I just had to replace my 8 year old thermostat - - the touch-screen was failing to adjust certain settings - including the set-temperarture - it was stuck on 64 F. degrees. I discovered the 3 AAA batteries had corrosion - no doubt after being neglected for 8 years ! The other little 3 volt battery that was well-hidden - seemed fine. I replaced it in an attempt to reset / revive the unit - to no avail. I'm not positive that the cause was the batteries but I can't think of anything else to blame ..
https://yourhome.honeywell.com/en/products/thermostat/7-day-programmable-thermostat-rth8500d
John T.
On Thursday, October 26, 2017 at 3:58:01 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

It was the batteries but you got a good 8 years out of it.
Have you contacted the "corroded" battery manufacturer. Some guarantee their batteries, from leaking/ corrosion. Might be worth an inquiry?
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 3:28:07 PM UTC-4, Dave C wrote:

so is this progress,
the old mechanical units are trouble free for 25 years

I was very tempted to replace it with old-school dial-type ! .. we don't use the fancy programs. But I wasn't sure if the new electronic furnace controllers are compatible ? As for the battery corrosion - totally my fault - for dis-remembering that it even had batteries .. duh. When I get the furnace serviced next month, I'll ask the service guy if he has "thermostat batteries" on his checklist. ... it should be. John T.