OT: Is a stuck car accelerator capable of doing this?

Anything more recent? If I held all car makers accountable for idiocy of 40 years ago, there'd be none left. Don't buy GM because of the corvair. Don't buy honda because of melting civic cvcc carbs. Don't buy ford because of the pinto. Don't buy any car from europe because of the citroen 2CV.

I'm more interested in currency idiocy like replacement turn signal assemblies costing nearly a thousand bucks, or engine compartments that require disassembly of the suspension in order to change an alternator out.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Reminds me of a VW bug I owned. What an absolute pile of shit that car was. At various times, I've had puddles cause my knees to get wet (rotting body) and the interior compartment to fill with steam from water being pulled into the air intake and going through the heat exchangers. Thought the dash was on fire.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

That came to mind. You should be able to push the button off, or, thinking straight, toss the keys out the window do deactivate the proximity receiver/switch.

If it was a rental, you may not think of those things, but given the fact they had time to make a call, you'd think they'd try lots of stuff. Neutral would be a good choice.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Actually in some cases there was a kind of "log". On several of the Audis that had "unintended acceleration", the brake system was found to be working perfectly, but the gas pedal was found to be crushed... by the pressure the driver was applying to the "brake pedal".

Reply to
Eric

Yes, on this point I agree with you completely.

IIRC replacing the clutch on the SAAB required pulling the engine. BTW I had a senior moment. It was a V-4 not a V-6

About three years ago replacing an interior rear view mirror on my 1997 E329 Mercedes cost $400.00.

I just paid $US2300.00 for repairs on my 1999 Mercedes C280. There were three problems..The trunk leaked water, The windows had stopped working, and the check engine light was on. To fix the check engine light they replaced the airflow sensor (about $800.00). Fixing the trunk leak (replacing the rubber gasket..over $700.00), and finally fixing the windows ($800.00).

The window problem is another classic in stupid design. As I understand it, on this vintage Mercedes the circuit boards that control the entire car's electronics are located on top of the transmission, just under the shift lever and cup holder. The boards are not sealed from liquid spills. I spilled about 1/4 cup of coffee and totaled the Window circuits. I was lucky..I have a friend who spilled an entire cup of coffee, deadlining her E320. With the tow job and repairs she paid over $1300.00.

EJ in NJ

Reply to
EJ Willson

I had a similar situation. I was stopped in the nick of time watching this short pink dress. Looked in the mirror and the guy behind me was looking at her too. I had scratches, he lost the front end. and pushed me into a third car. Little damage there too. I even gave him a ride home.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

To make matters worse, the Audi brake and gas pedals wee close in height

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

ANd holding it for 10 seconds or so.

Reply to
clare

They DID fix it Starting in 1969? all the engind mounts had "interlock fingers" that did not allow a de-laminated enginemount to separate. They went steel on steel in the "up" position if the rubber let go. The cable was the "fix" for pre 1969 recall.

Reply to
clare

That is a holdover from SAAB's aircraft ancestry - ALL aircraft throttles fail to full open for safety reasons.

On the ground they need to go the OTHER way or the SAME reason.

Reply to
clare

that's all i use on my xp machine also. Most versions before this i just threw the switch on the back.

Reply to
Steve Barker

nope, i just tap mine and it shuts down properly.

Reply to
Steve Barker

EJ Willson wrote in news:4ab7b20b$0$5889$ snipped-for-privacy@news.newshosting.com:

I just replaced the mass air flow sensor on my 2003 Sentra SpecV,and the parts places all wanted $300($400 at Nissan) for the sensor -with- housing("remanufactured"),and after much searching on the Internet,found the sensor alone for $78+shipping,for a total of $89 USD(under a different listing). It seems they used the same sensor on several Nissan motors and a Subaru Legacy,too.I could't find anyone who listed the sensor alone specifically for my model.Also,the local parts places all had a core charge for the sensor+housing.So,they're charging hundreds more just to replace the sensor in an old housing,a 5 minute job!

This is just a RIPOFF of customers.There's no need to replace the housing along with the MAF sensor.They could easily sell the MAF sensor alone,it just had two screws holding it into the housing,nothing special or complex. (but they used special security screws...didn't stop ME though!)

Then I had a bad lower ball joint,mechanics at 2 places wanted to replace the entire control arm for $400,I ordered a $15 ball joint from Advance Auto Parts,used their free loaner ball joint press to remove it and install the new one.

well,you aren't supposed to be drinking and driving.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:8KWdnQZq1az7MCrXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Heh,I can picture you explaining to the rental agency why you don't have the keys to their car...... 8-)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Wow!I never thought of that. Unfortunately the Model 96 was not known for its aerobatics.

EJ in NJ

Reply to
EJ Willson

I rented a Chrysler convertible in Kauai. I had to ask around the office before I could get someone to go outside and show me how to run the convertible top. The instructions were, "Just push on the button". The next day, and in the daylight, I found out that things had to be moved in the trunk, and several gyrations had to be performed to safely operate the top mechanism. Someone less mechanically inclined would not have been able to do it, or crushed some components, and been on the losing end of a renter's nightmare. We had the car a week, and were continuously finding new knobs and functions. Glad the roof didn't actuate while under way.

Point is, rental agents generally are minimum wage kids, or people in general who don't know dick, even if you ask them.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

If a rental car ever went runaway on me, the rental company would damn well be coming to fetch it, either from the side of the road, or from wherever the cops towed it.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

It did have the front mounts, but now it has a fuel saving 454 in it. I bought a kit made for big blocks that makes use of the front mounts, the mid mounts, and a transmission mount.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Wow! People here are so nice! I should get rid of it because it doesn't have those "posts" between the front and rear windows either. I think it's called a 2 door hardtop, or the real name is a Bel Air Sport Coupe. We'll keep in touch so I can get it out of my way. I'd like to stack firewood in the garage where it is now sitting in my way.

Reply to
Tony

quoted text -

No way I could have held onto the steering wheel with one hand and made a call with the other. It had all original suspension in poor condition and I was bouncing up and down the road over patches and potholes. I had planned on slowing down before getting to that part of the road!

I just don't get why a

I can't say I would have known how to shut off that car with it's start/stop button, but I'd like to say I would have taken it out of gear.... if that was possible.

Reply to
Tony