OT - Insurers dropping Chinese drywall policies

The fact still remains that the scope of the home owners's policy does not include builder's errors. If they wanted a guarantee that the builder would not have made any errors or used defective materials they should have bought a rider that said it covered that. This is as silly as putting in an insurance claim because your "30 year" shingles only lasted 20 years or trying to get an auto insurer to pay for your bad transmission..

Reply to
gfretwell

You had better go read your insurance policies in detail. You are seriously confused about what they do. -- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

Why would you expect insurance to fix constuction problems? Replace my stove because it was lemon? Pay to paint the house, as the weather destroyed the paint after 15 years? You want insurance for bad construction, you are going to have to pay for a policy for that. Not a normal policy that covers accidents. Sue the builder and supplier and the company that made the sheetrock.

Reply to
Bill McKee

Homeowner's insurance is to cover loss from certain damages and to cover fire, theft, medical expenses if someone is injured on your property and things of that nature. The coverage is very specific and is listed in the policy.

There is nothing in the policy about defective materials in a house. They are not denying coverage, you never had it and you never paid for it. Insurance is a business transaction. You pay a premium for specific items covered. Nothing inhumane about it at all.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

LOL, and you'd have a hard time going after the drywall manufacturer in China!

The builder is the one to go after. They have the deepest pockets and they have insurance to cover this sort of thing.

I have a rental townhouse where after four years some latent defects showed up. We didn't even have to threaten to sue, we went straight to the builder's insurance company, even though the builder was out of business they had had to purchase insurance against latent defects. We were lucky, just some decks that had footings that were sinking that cost the insurer only maybe $80,000 to fix while a nearby complex had upper level decks that were falling off the building due to poor materials.

It's scary to look at some of the building materials used in new construction.

Reply to
SMS