OT. Inflation. Families lose $3500

Imagine that, there is politic'ing going on in politics.

Don't you think democrats understand gerrymandering? You only have to look at the congressional districts in the dark blue states to see that. Take a peek at the Md 3d. They need to protect Ben Cardin's seat from the GOP people in the Bal'mer suburbs.

gfretwell

Farm equipment is another area without much competition. John Deere and Case/IH pretty much cover it for major manufacturers. I know of one family that buys Ford tractors. There are some other companies making grain carts, hay equipment, augers etc. I know of at least one family using a Claas combine. There were probably dozens of farm equipment companies in the late 40s and early 50s. One can still see them at county and state fairs in the antique area. I was looking for a compact tractor this summer. There are more brands of those but the Covid disruptions limited what is available. I ended up with a Massy Ferguson 1725. Nebraska has only two John Deere Dealers for practical purposes. One dealership swallowed up the little guys so there wasn't much point in driving to the places I knew in the past.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

You must eat well. That is quite an increase. My average for the past 6 weeks is $74 and that includes about 6 or 8 bottles of wine.

Tampa has one of the highest inflation rates in the country. Not from fuel or food, but landlords are increasing rent by 30% in many cases. Why? Because they can. St. Pete is being asked to look at rent controls.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

There is plenty of competition in the grocery business. Grocery prices are still high.

Reply to
gfretwell

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote

Not everything. They don't affect the cost of having a swim if you live close enough to the beach or river or lake to walk there, or to the cost of posting on usenet or facebook etc significantly.

I agree you can't issue

You must pig out on lots of expensive good.

That's a lie.

Meat may be the worst but that makes the bark

Reply to
lkpo

So you're saying I should have ignored your claim that "demographic shifts are lost on both" parties? Are pretty much all of your claims like this one, just made up on the spot so you can see what sticks to the wall? What kind of game is that?

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Likewise for military aircraft, LMT and B. Which, between them, have absorbed a couple of hundred competitors over the last four decades.

Anti-trust has been neutered over the last 50 years, unfortunately for us.

Uh, don't forget AGCO (i.e. Massey Ferguson et alia).

I'm still looking for a working Farmall B.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I'm still paying the same for bread as I did seven years ago; the exact same $5.49 for two two-pound loaves of Orowheat Oatnut. I pay the same 9.99 for 4 pounds of grapes. Veuve Clicquot has gone up by a dollar. Still pay 8.45 for a box of raisin bran (two jumbo bags per box).

Indeed. And the energy companies have no controls on pricing either.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Actually, there really isn't much competition.

Scott Lurndal

Again you are lost with the context of the original thread.

"The bankruptcy of local governments because of pension and benefit give always is an excellent example" . The context was unfunded pension programs that politicians use to get votes without acknowledging there are fewer workers in the market than there were 20 years ago (demographic shift) so there is no way to fund those programs from the contributions of people coming into that plan. .

Reply to
gfretwell

AGCO completely slipped my mind. There are some Gleaner combines around.

This one looks like it might still do something. It still has the Farmall logo on the side.

Dean Hoffman

Store brand bread was $1.50 2 years ago, it was $1.85 yesterday. A box of frozen spinach was $1.15, it is $1.79. Bacon was $5.99, it was $9.79 yesterday. Ribeye (bone in) steak used to be $7.99, now it is $13.99-14.99. There is the annual sale on rib roasts for Christmas but instead of the $4.99 it is $6.99 .

Reply to
gfretwell

Scott Lurndal snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home> wrote

Corse there is from Aldi and Lidl in some markets.

More grossly exaggerated bullshit from that shit rag.

Reply to
lkpo

My bad. I forgot that you can't follow a thread.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Read this and see who can't follow a thread.

The reference was to unsustainable pension plans. You are the one that went off into the weeds with gerrymandering.

Reply to
gfretwell

Weeds? You made an unsupported claim and I responded to it. That's how threads work. Try to keep up.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

The claim was about pension plans and you went off on gerrymandering. Two completely different things.

There is no doubt anyone who is loading up future budgets with big pensions planning on growth in employees to flatten out the curve is ignorant of demographics specifically the ratio of retired people to working age people. Is that plain enough for you?

Reply to
gfretwell

I thought it was obvious, but this is what I responded to:

Specifically, your claim about demographic shifts being lost on both parties. I didn't respond to anything regarding pension plans. Please try to keep up.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I understand you read one word at a time without putting them into context and you can't read long because your lips get tired.

Reply to
gfretwell

None of that has anything to do with you getting called out for your bullsh*t claim that I responded to. *shrug* It wasn't me who made you look stupid multiple times in this thread. You did that on your own.

Reply to
Jim Joyce