Inflation and home repair

I saw a post, or two about shrinking food packages. The pound of spaghetti is now 13 ounces, the 44 cookie Oreos are now 39.

With shrinking packs and price hikes, it's going to get a lot harder to do much of anything. Like feed the family after home repairs. Anyone but me feeling the squeeze?

What's next? A 100 ounce gallon of paint?

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

yeah life sucks right now for everyone but he super wealthy...... everything has shrinking package sizing, just look at ice cream.......

Reply to
bob haller

Didn't you post a while back that you were having trouble finding work?

No squeeze here but I have work when I want it.

Reply to
Dan Espen

yep the junk chinese products are cheap. thats a good thing since most people are having trouble earning enough to live......

Reply to
bob haller

Even 128-ounce gallons aren't real gallons because the 8 pints of which each gallon is composed contain only 16 ounces each, There are 20 ounces to a real pint.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I don't agree tho I'm not economist. I do know that some local mfgrs here in the oil n gas business (Texas) now have clients that do NOT want products made in China or India due to inferior quality. It sounds like they are willing to pay more for the quality.

Reply to
Doug

Actually, that has happened in Canada. I still have a couple of cans with one gallon of paint, this was a Canadian gallon which was made up of four 40 ounce quarts or 160 ounces, as opposed to a US gallon made up of four 32 ounce quarts or 128 ounces. When Canada went metric, the paint companies all reduced the size to 4 liters, now they have "standardized" on a US gallon which is smaller again at 3.95 liters. It won't be long before they find a smaller size to use.

By the way, the price never went down with the contents instead it went up.

Reply to
EXT

Then a market should exist for those products from sources other than China or India. If you believe that there is really a market for those products, then ask yourself why no company is building them here. I think when you really look into it, what most of those people really want is the superior product that lasts, etc but only costs about what the cheap one does.

And a lot of the loss of manufacturing to overseas competitors wasn't a direct result of price. Look at the evolution of the US auto industry and what happened there. It wasn't that the Japanese were making cheap, junk cars. It was that they were making cars that had much better quality, less repair problems, better features, etc.

I think it was Mulalley that took over as CEO at Ford that told his staff during one of his first meetings that he wanted everyone of them to drive a particular Toyota. I don't remember the model, but it was one of their top sellers. The answer was, "We don't have any". That's right. In the entire company they didn't have one of their competitors top products to even compare. Then he found out the top executives were not even driving Fords because they were being chaufered around.

Not saying that unfair foreign competition doesn't exist. In some cases it does.

Reply to
trader4

I just had to roll over an IRA - 0.25% for 14 months. Could have gotten 0.4% for much longer time. Might as well spend the money now or put it under my mattress.

Reply to
Frank

Dumping *did* exist. It's interesting to note that most of the foreign auto manufacturers are now building cars here, albeit in right-to-work states and without union thuggery.

Reply to
krw

That must be your SI pint. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Or put it somewhere other than a bank.

Reply to
krw

It's a relatively small IRA and I have reached the age where I take minimum distributions. While I have plenty of stocks, I don't want more or anything risky at my age. If I needed to repair something, I'd spend the money now.

Reply to
Frank

The problem is over regulation, not freedom. Freedom results in economic boom, like the Reagan years.

.

Probably what you?re really noticing is that your earnings aren?t keeping-up with inflation like it used to or else you wouldn?t even care and the reason for that is because you?re competing against Chinese, Indian and South American workers. That?s what you get when politicians give big corporate CEOs free trade policy and let them run amok.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Over regulation from Washington, and excess union scale wages.

.

If you believe that there is really a market for those products, then ask yourself why no company is building them here.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Happening, in the US, also. Our US gallon shrunk again, only 3.785 liters, if memory serves.

.

Actually, that has happened in Canada. I still have a couple of cans with one gallon of paint, this was a Canadian gallon which was made up of four 40 ounce quarts or 160 ounces, as opposed to a US gallon made up of four 32 ounce quarts or 128 ounces. When Canada went metric, the paint companies all reduced the size to 4 liters, now they have "standardized" on a US gallon which is smaller again at 3.95 liters. It won't be long before they find a smaller size to use.

By the way, the price never went down with the contents instead it went up.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It was Reagan who implemented mandatory price controls; talk about =93over regulation=94. Myopia anyone?

Reply to
Molly Brown

I was going to say that I didn't have any stocks, either, but my wife does have a few in her IRA. There are other places to put money, other than a bank or stocks.

Reply to
krw

Certainly not!

Education, anyone?

Reply to
krw

It's easier to get Nixon and Obama mixed up.

Reply to
krw