OT/Immigration

In article ,

Kinda sorta. The extension of this part of the 14th Amendment is a court action that took place years after enactment. There is a fair amount of evidence from speeches and Congressional debate that as this was originally envisioned, those coming from other countries were specifically to be excluded. I did a rather large treatise on this earlier in the thread if interested.

We do make it easier than many other places. You just have to wait your place in line.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I agree with the part that we have it backwards, that legal immigration is too restrictive, while illegal is not enforced much at all. But I'd disagree that we should just accept anyone who wants to come here that doesn't have a criminal record, a disease, etc. Some reasonable numbers of allowed immigration, by country, which is how it's supposed to work, seems more reasonable. And guest worker permits, for a time period of two or three years is needed too. No reason we should allow unlimited numbers, from everywhere, to come here. I don't know of any country that does that today.

Instead of trying to come up with a complete solution to the problem, one would think a very reasonable starting point would be to do two things to start:

1 - Guest worker permits

2 - Tighten the border so that getting across illegally is difficult.

Step #1 would greatly assist in step #2, because the temporary workers would no longer need to enter illegally.

Seems reasonable to me, but good luck getting in through the current govt.

Reply to
trader_4

Kurt Ullman wrote in news:qP2dneoGIednHOnJnZ2dnUU7- snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

A very, very long line.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Which is a thing that could be addressed in reform.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Oren belched:

no need to repeal it, just amend it

Reply to
ChairMan

In news:XnsA3F0B4754ADCEdougmilmaccom@213.239.209.88, Doug Miller belched:

Okay, lets fix that then

Reply to
ChairMan

No problem with wanting a better life, but to start it off by breakin the law? I find that the ones that have done it legally have a much better respect for this country as compare to most(not all) that comme here illegally

Reply to
ChairMan

Yeah, the biggest joke is the *media* has chosen to call them undocumented now because of it being un PC to call them illegal Really?

Reply to
ChairMan

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Oren belched:

no argument there, I just don't understand "WHAT'S" broken. Just like current gun laws, they just don't enforce the laws that have been there for years

Reply to
ChairMan