OT hyptothetical gambling question

Someone who's almost never been to the track bfore is going, not for the races but a job.

Friends, or friends of her boyfriend, if that matters, give her 80 dollars to bet on the daily double, which she does. It pays 420 dollars so the whole pot is 500, but she loses the ticket. She searches for it for hours, but does not find it.

How much does she owe the friends, 500 or 80?

Reply to
micky

500
Reply to
567gh

Whichever they insist on - 80 - they are indeed friends

500 - they instantly become ex-friends with a bit more money John T.
Reply to
hubops

Sorry, I got there too late to bet, Here's your $80.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If she found it what would she do?

Reply to
Thomas

When she meets them for the celebratory dinner, she's about to give them a post-dated check for 500 (because her boyfriend insists that's how much she owes) when one of them finds that Lucky Model is running the next day. She was at the track working as a model so they call her tbeir lucky model and want her to bet all 500 on that horse the next day. But her boyfriend finds that he's never finished better than 8th. So he says they should book the bet themselves, and when Lucky Model loses, it will be as if the money was lost and she'll be off the hook.

So they do that but the horse wins! But then it's disqualified. And then one of the modeling staff sees her and gives her the ticket from yesterday, which she had put in the pocket of the coat she was modelling.

So she gets to collect the 500 after all.

Now, who is entitled to the 500? She, or the guys who placed the original bet? And if it's they, is there a problem explaining what happened? If you were one of those guys, would the truth make you feel she'd done nothing wrong?

Reply to
micky

She'd give them the 500.

Actually she did find it, that is, someone from the modeling session found it in the coat she was wearing then and returned the ticket to her. Now she wants to return it and her obnoxious boyfriend is trying to convince her to keep it (Becaue the second horse lost, the bet they/she booked themelves/herself.) Of course if she does that, they'll never be able to talk about it to anyone.

For fairness, I think they should split the 500, 4 ways, one share for her and one share for each of the three guys.

Reply to
micky

Give the ticket back to the giver. Nothing lost to her. Not worth any grief. Maybe they will decide something else.

Reply to
Thomas

I would tell her what you said, if I could.

This was actually an episode of That Girl, with Marlo Thomas. That I saw yesterday.

I suspsected that Marlo Thomas only got her job because her father was a bigshot, but after a while I saw that she was actually very good.

Reply to
micky