OT, Hurricane Preparations

How rednecks prepare for a hurricane. ?(?)?

[8~{} Uncle Windy Monster
Reply to
Uncle Monster

I imagine they were really just trying to strap down the roof.

Reply to
gfretwell

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

I heard on the radio this morning of 5 elderly people that died in Florida because the home didn't have power for 4 days. Didn't hear any details but I wonder what the back story is on it...

Reply to
Tekkie®

No AC + high temperatures = serious health issues for the old folks.

Reply to
clare

trader_4 posted for all of us...

heat and humidity caused the deaths of some of the residents. (~_~;)

This story reeks of failure on many levels... I am disgusted.

Reply to
Tekkie®

ote:

supposed to hit Birmingham today or tomorrow and a lot of schools and othe r institutions are not going to open on Monday and Tuesday. There are some low lying areas in town that could flood if there is a lot of rain. At 3:30 am here it's very quiet but I expect that to change. ?(?)?

Thanks everyone for the follow up. I posted when I first had the chance. In an earlier post I expressed dismay. There is a lot a blame to go around and tree branches are not it.

Reply to
Tekkie®

We did OK, no serious problems but I do have to reevaluate my love for POTS phones. I was Amish for a week. OTOH Comcast (hardline) is still laying in the road so that is not the answer.

Reply to
gfretwell

Kurt V. Ullman posted for all of us...

Usually...

Reply to
Tekkie®

Whose fault should it really be when you are told to pack your shit and leave ? As many times as the coastal areas (Florida might as well be all costal as it is only a few feet above sea level) have been hit, they should know to expect to be with out power and other things for up to several weeks.

While there can not be any exect predictions, the people still have several days to decide to leave or stay. Not like a tornato that can come up in a ver short time.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The problem is leave for where?

The folks who can handle it hunker down, do what they need to do to survive and move on. The snowflakes who can't might as well stay wherever they went.

Reply to
gfretwell
[snip]

Tornato: when you're surrounded by people throwing tomatoes at you, and you spin around trying not to get hit.

Reply to
hah

Ralph Mowery posted for all of us...

I was specifically addressing this nursing home issue. I don't know how man y choices were available to them, if any.

I prefer to leave people to make their own decisions; from experience in emergency services if they have been institutionalized for a while then the y don't even want to leave the facility (their home) under everyday conditions. They get traumatized even being taken to a doctors office.

As for the public they have the faculties to make a decision on their own. They need to be informed and make the choice.

Reply to
Tekkie®