OT: Hurrican Irene? In it's path?

Just curious to share experiences with anyone else who may be in it's path. I'm at the NJ shore here about 2.5 miles from the beach. Right now it looks like we'll probably get 75mph winds. Done all I can to prepare.

Reply to
trader4

I'm near Wilmington, Delaware and expect lessor winds but extensive power outages. There will be flooding from the rains but I live on high ground. Neighbors at the bottom of the hill could get enough water to flood into their basements if the creek overflows. You should be safe from the winds but if flooding is a problem you should go to high ground. Also falling trees are more of a problem than direct wind damage. Thunderstorm here a couple of weeks ago, trees fell and crushed a couple of houses, one with a three car garage with three Cadillacs in it was destroyed. Didn't Christie tell you guys so close to the water to move out?

Reply to
Frank

" snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" wrote in news:4af14f73- snipped-for-privacy@w28g2000yqw.googlegroups.com:

I'm much further inland - 07410, but we prepared as much as we can, having daughter in law and small grandkids visiting ...

Reply to
Han

I'm in northeast CT. Eye is expect to pass to the left of us, so 2" to 4" of rain, wind 75 mph or so.

Crap, I forgot tonic water! Guess I'll stick to beer or bourbon for now. Propane for the range so cooking will not be a problem, Gas grill and smoker too, four propane tanks filled.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No, the only evacuations for entire towns have been for places like the barrier islands where there is ocean on one side and bay on the other. Even in towns near me that are actually on the ocean the evacuation has been limited to those directly on the beach, areas prone to flooding, mobile homes, etc.

Reply to
trader4

Trader isn't going to listen to Christie, unless Christie talks politics. Then, Christie is always right, and Trader will continue being a bobble head.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

That's good. I was thinking something like 4 miles. Our governor has called for evacuation of areas 3/4 of a mile within a waterway. My brother lives in Lewes, 4 miles from water.

Reply to
Frank

I love Christie. I remember the left going berserk when he was on vacation in Florida when a big snow storm hit NJ. He spent a lot of time on the phone then and asked them if they had wanted him home riding on the back of a snow plow. Wonder what the criticism will be this time?

Reply to
Frank

As of 9AM Sunday, here in central NJ, 2.5 miles from the beach, we're in the eye of the hurricane. Rain has stopped and it's just overcase. It's been much less than I expected, more like a moderate noreaster. Just drove a few miles around the area. Lots of leaves, some med branches down. No trees uprooted that I saw.

I have power. Talked to two friends within a couple miles. One has power, the other lost power around 11PM last night. TV says 400,000 are without power in NJ, 2mil+ total for the hurricane. Major problem now appears to be flooding in various flood prone parts of NJ.

Reply to
trader4

The talking heads have been working for a week trying to build this into a disaster. Instead it turned into just another routine tropical storm time it hit. They are still trying to pump it up but kinda hard seeing the actual damage isn't much. Lots of people out of power but that is about it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Vermont seems to be having a few problems. My son left a message last night talking about having to be evacuated (dams in trouble). Don't know the details.

Reply to
krw