OT: "hundred hours"

What is it with the yank military saying "seventeen hundred hours"? There are not 1,700 hours in the day. The two zeroes are MINUTES! It's not even "seventeen hundred minutes" - there are SIXTY minutes in an hour, not 100!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They time the day as 24 hours, with no 12 hour AM and PM designations.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Yes, there are 24 hours, not 2,400 hours. It's not "fifteen hundred hours" mid afternoon, it's "fifteen hours". Where does the hundred come from?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They're using Star-Date time like Star Trek .. getting ready for the new Space Force ! ... coming soon - after they finish the wall. John T.

hubops

I think Wilkinson Sword knows what it means. He's jealous that the Brits tell time in shillings or something.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It's the time of day, 5pm. f****it.

Reply to
Steven

Wondered if it was him and answers revealed it.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

From the 17:00 way of writing it, you pathetic excuse for a troll.

Reply to
Steven

Politicians (not scientists) make policy...which is why we have 12 hour clocks and 24 hour clocks and daylight saving time and time zones. To make matters worse, politicians can't even make up their minds when to start and stop daylight saving time so they tweak the rules every few decades or so.

And you can't help but wonder why the idiot Canaduh Newfounlanders offset their time zone by 3:30.

Reply to
devnull

There should be no daylight savings time. And if we do have it, it should be the other way round! In winter, when we have less daylight hours, they move the clocks so that we get less light in the evening!!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I know "seventeen hundred hours" means 17 o'clock. But there are not hundreds of hours. It's factually incorrect, and only something an American could come up with.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I never did understand why Picard was French but spoke in an extremely posh English accent. "Numbah won!" "Stahdayte fore threee ayt poynt sevvenn!"

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

1700 = 5pm ---> 5 o'clock in the afternoon.

HTH :-)

Reply to
David B." <"David

Only in 12 hour format, You can't speak like that on a train station or the conductor will get confused.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Only in the UK. Conductors understand it over here since they are much smarter.

Reply to
Meanie

I'm sure they'd understand it anywhere, but 24 hour clocks are used for timetables for a good reason, no duplicates. It was pretty damn stupid to have 24 hours in a day but only have 12 numbers.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey